CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum
happy to be back - Printable Version

+- CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum (https://forum.bitbusters.club)
+-- Forum: CC Zone Meta (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Feedback (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: happy to be back (/thread-2030.html)

Pages: 1 2

happy to be back - mobius - 14-Jan-2013

I used to be a member on Chips Portal and I just found out about this site now, (thanx to TomP on youtube) I had thought the chips challenge community was lost forever. Slight frown

It's my own fault; I stopped visiting for a long time. But now I hope to get back into this game. So... yeah, just expressing my joy that people still play CC. Slight smile

happy to be back - rockdet - 15-Jan-2013

Oh hooray! Nice to have you on board then. Hope you enjoy your return at the game.

happy to be back - Flareon350 - 15-Jan-2013

Welcome to the new forums! Slight smile

happy to be back - mobius - 17-Jan-2013

thanks for the welcome. Since I'm not sure where to ask, rather than make a new topic I'll ask it here:

I’d like to make levels available for lynx mode. How does one do this? I have Chip edit, CCTools and CC Designer, and I have the new version of tile world. (the blue one) But I never knew how to make levels work with lynx mode. (non-Microsoft mode)

edit: Flareon I just looked at your youtube and was shocked by another version of tileworld with cool graphics! Where can I get that?

happy to be back - random 8 - 17-Jan-2013

The ruleset (MS vs. Lynx) is typically determined by a .DAC file, not the .DAT file (which contains the level set). Open a plain text editor (such as Notepad), then type the following:

file=x.dat

ruleset=lynx

Where "x" is the name of the .DAT file. Then save the file in Tile World's "sets" folder (the .DAT file goes in the "data" folder) with the extension .DAC.

If the .DAT file is placed in the "sets" folder, however, TW will still see the file, but only lets you play it in one ruleset (unless you make multiple copies of it in that folder). There's a way to designate the Lynx ruleset in the .DAT file, but i don't remember the details. Something to do with the first byte in the file....

http://chipschalleng...ia.com/wiki/DAC

http://cczone.invisi...-for-tws-files/

As for the graphics, you'll have to ask Flareon.

happy to be back - Lessinath - 17-Jan-2013

Quote:The ruleset (MS vs. Lynx) is typically determined by a .DAC file, not the .DAT file (which contains the level set). Open a plain text editor (such as Notepad), then type the following:

file=x.dat

ruleset=lynx

Where "x" is the name of the .DAT file. Then save the file in Tile World's "sets" folder (the .DAT file goes in the "data" folder) with the extension .DAC.

If the .DAT file is placed in the "sets" folder, however, TW will still see the file, but only lets you play it in one ruleset (unless you make multiple copies of it in that folder). There's a way to designate the Lynx ruleset in the .DAT file, but i don't remember the details. Something to do with the first byte in the file....

http://chipschalleng...ia.com/wiki/DAC

http://cczone.invisi...-for-tws-files/

As for the graphics, you'll have to ask Flareon.

I'll explain in a bit more detail as well:

For Tile World to play a set in lynx, you have to make a .dac file for it.

I'll use CHIPS.dat as an example. Tile World uses .dat or .ccl files in the "data" folder for level data, and .dac files in the "sets" folder to tell the game how to use the sets in the "data" folder. Placing sets directly into the "sets" folder works, but is not optimal because you cannot use a .dac file with that set then. This is not good because the game defaults to MS play, which is fine if it's an ms only set but is a real spanner in the works if you want to play in lynx.

Now that you understand the rules of this little game, I can explain how to play it.

In my "data" folder in the Tile World directory I have the CHIPS.dat file. This is the .dat or .ccl file that contains the levels themselves, but that's not playable on its own here.

In the "sets" folder, also in the Tile World directory I have two more files, "cc_ms.dac" and "cc_lynx.dac", and tile world uses these for the rulesets. There is one problem, and that is that you have to make these manually.

Create a new text ".txt" file, name it "cc_ms". Make sure you have file extensions shown and editable, this may require administrator privileges.

Open this with a text editor, such as notepad. This file will then contain three lines, which I will break down in more detail in a moment.

file=chips.dat

lastlevel=144

ruleset=ms

The first line, "file=chips.dat" tells Tile World what data file this .dac will be talking about.

The second line, "lastlevel=144" tells the game to give you the "win" screen at level 144. This doesn't mean the set actually ends here, just that the win screen will show.

Finally, the third line, "ruleset=ms" tells Tile World what ruleset to play this level in.

Once you have those, save the file and change the extension from .txt to .dac

If done correctly and all goes well, the set is now playable in MS. But you want lynx! Well, it's easy from here.

Make another text file in the "sets" folder again, this time named "cc_lynx". For the contents, use the same "file=chips.dat", and "lastlevel=144" but instead of "ruleset=ms" use "ruleset=lynx".

It will look like this:

file=chips.dat

lastlevel=144

ruleset=lynx

Save and change the extension on this one to .dac as well.

You can now play "chips.dat" in Lynx or MS, and the set will be shown with both options available in Tile World's set selection menu*.

*I hesitate to call it a menu, because a menu implies options to change.

To do this with your own set, simply do everything you did there above but use your set's file name, such as "mobius.dat" or "mobus.ccl" instead of "chips.dat" and name the files "mobius_ms" or "mobius_lynx", or, something else that will satisfy you. The file names can be nearly anything you want as long as they are consistent.

Quote:This is not good because the game defaults to MS play....

I read somewhere that there's a way to play in Lynx without using DAC files, but i don't remember how it worked exactly, just something about the first byte of the file.

EDIT: Just found it. It was Tile World 2's README file:

Quote:Normally, ChipEdit creates levels for the MS ruleset. If you wish to make a

level set for the Lynx ruleset, you have a few options:

* A very simple command-line utility is included with Tile World, called

mklynxcc. This program will change a normal .dat file to one that will

use the Lynx ruleset instead of the MS ruleset. Running mklynxcc foo.dat

will change foo.dat's ruleset from MS to Lynx.

* You can use a configuration file to override the builtin ruleset. This

method requires creating an extra file, but does allows you to avoid

making changes to the .dat file. See the complete documentation for

information on how to set up a configuration file.

* Finally, ChipEdit has an obscure feature which allows you to control the

signature of the data file. This is done by adding a SIGNATURE entry to

the chipedit.ini file. The default signature value is 0x0002AAAC, which

indicates a data file that uses the MS ruleset. If you set the SIGNATURE

to be 0x0102AAAC, then ChipEdit will create data files marked to use the

Lynx ruleset instead.

----------------------------------------------

Quote:*I hesitate to call it a menu, because a menu implies options to change.

It lets you change which set and ruleset you're currently playing. Tongue

Also, only the "file" parameter in the DAC file has to be specified. If you delete the line "ruleset=ms" or "ruleset=lynx", Tile World will default to MS. The default for "lastlevel" is 144, and there are two other parameters not mentioned here: "fixlynx" (which i assume determines pedantic mode) and "usepasswords". I don't remember what exactly their parameters are, whether it's "yes" and "no", or "y" and "n", but their defaults are no and yes, respectively.

happy to be back - Lessinath - 17-Jan-2013

Quote:I read somewhere that there's a way to play in Lynx without using DAC files, but i don't remember how it worked exactly, just something about the first byte of the file.

It lets you change which set and ruleset you're currently playing. Tongue

Also, only the "file" parameter in the DAC file has to be specified. If you delete the line "ruleset=ms" or "ruleset=lynx", Tile World will default to MS. The default for "lastlevel" is 144, and there are two other parameters not mentioned here: "fixlynx" (which i assume determines pedantic mode) and "usepasswords". I don't remember what exactly their parameters are, whether it's "yes" and "no", or "y" and "n", but their defaults are no and yes, respectively.

Yes. But I don't know how to do that either.

I only mentioned as much as I felt I need to in order to give a good understanding of how to make and use a .dac file, it was not meant to be an all-inclusive guide. I was aware I left information out, but thanks for mentioning it. Slight smile

happy to be back - Flareon350 - 17-Jan-2013

I use a completely different method to change the rulesets between a level set. I simply just drag whatever set I want to play in Lynx over the "mklynxcc" file in TW2 and add "-lynx" to the set name. It's easy.

Quote:edit: Flareon I just looked at your youtube and was shocked by another version of tileworld with cool graphics! Where can I get that?

If your talking about the tileset, you can get it here. You have to have a Yahoo! account though.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/chips_challenge/files/Enhanced%20Interface/

I only use that tileset for MSCC, as I cannot make it look the same in Tile World.

Quote:I use a completely different method to change the rulesets between a level set. I simply just drag whatever set I want to play in Lynx over the "mklynxcc" file in TW2 and add "-lynx" to the set name. It's easy.

That's in the README excerpt i quoted earlier. Also, *you're. Tongue