CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum
Why is there a "cancel" option while you're creating a new topic? - Printable Version

+- CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum (https://forum.bitbusters.club)
+-- Forum: Non-Chip's Challenge (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Why is there a "cancel" option while you're creating a new topic? (/thread-2305.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Why is there a "cancel" option while you're creating a new topic? - BitBuster - 20-Mar-2012

Picture this: you've just thought of the most amazing topic ever imagined in the history of the Internets (sic)(bear with me here). You've spent a good portion of your day typing out an insightful, original, thought-provoking post (bear with me here). Then you go to click "Preview Post," and instead, you click "Cancel."

Why does the "Cancel" option even exist? If you start to make a thread and then think better of it, it's not that hard to click back to the main forum (or to close the tab you're working in). I think the "Cancel" button just exists because the people who design forums secretly don't like people. Actually, it's really not that much of a secret, if you ask me. They make it fairly obvious. But they're tech geeks, and in 2012, tech geeks rule the world, so they don't fear much retribution.

Don't you hate it when that happens?

Why is there a "cancel" option while you're creating a new topic? - Lessinath - 20-Mar-2012

Nope - I look at my buttons before I click them.

Why is there a "cancel" option while you're creating a new topic? - Flareon350 - 20-Mar-2012

Quote:Nope - I look at my buttons before I click them.

^this.

Why is there a "cancel" option while you're creating a new topic? - AdrenalinDragon - 20-Mar-2012

I'm afraid there is no option to turn this off, but usually I read the post first and then press the post button.

Why is there a "cancel" option while you're creating a new topic? - BitBuster - 20-Mar-2012

Quote:Nope - I look at my buttons before I click them.

I still fail to see the utility of the "Cancel" button. Sure, we're all prudent posters (cough), but why would you even bother to program such a function?

Why is there a "cancel" option while you're creating a new topic? - AdrenalinDragon - 20-Mar-2012

Quote:

I still fail to see the utility of the "Cancel" button. Sure, we're all prudent posters (cough), but why would you even bother to program such a function?

Well, the post might be offensive and it could be useful if you change your mind on posting it.

...that's why you click away or simply close the tab.

: /

(More useful might be a "delete" function, although the "edit" function comes close).

I dunno. I just like complaining about stupid crap. Perhaps you've noticed.

Why is there a "cancel" option while you're creating a new topic? - geodave - 20-Mar-2012

This weird multi-function pad thingy on my laptop often pushes the wrong button, or goes to a different window, or all kinds of bloody nonsense.

Why is there a "cancel" option while you're creating a new topic? - BitBuster - 21-Mar-2012

Seems like the Firefox feature that uses "Backspace" as a means of going "back" a page. Very frustrating at times!

Why is there a "cancel" option while you're creating a new topic? - BigOto2 - 21-Mar-2012

That seems like quite a dumb feature, since one could just press the back button to cancel. It's not like people still use Internet Explorer 3 or something. "Backspace" to go back is also really annoying simply because it seems rigged to be accidentally pressed. Another one I hate is Ctrl-W which closes any window (like Alt-F4 isn't enough), and it's right next to Ctrl-S for save. I totally need to start up a thread for annoying shortcut keys. Teeth