CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum
300 posts! - Printable Version

+- CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum (https://forum.bitbusters.club)
+-- Forum: Non-Chip's Challenge (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: 300 posts! (/thread-2358.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

300 posts! - BigOto2 - 22-Mar-2012

I'm going on a trip called the "Global Awareness Program" or something like that, no idea why they call it that but basically it means I go on a school-organized trip in the summer just for fun, which cost the earth but I hope it's worth it.

300 posts! - geodave - 22-Mar-2012

Going to church doesn't make you better any more than entering the garage makes you a car....

The only real purpose of church is to remind you that there are other losers ALSO trying to be good people.

(Okay, that's not true, but it's sort of true.)

300 posts! - Lessinath - 23-Mar-2012

It's not completely accurate, but it's true.

300 posts! - BitBuster - 23-Mar-2012

Quote:Going to church doesn't make you better any more than entering the garage makes you a car....

The only real purpose of church is to remind you that there are other losers ALSO trying to be good people.

One minor nitpick: a lot of the losers aren't even trying to be good people. Wink

300 posts! - geodave - 23-Mar-2012

Quote:One minor nitpick: a lot of the losers aren't even trying to be good people. Wink

Well, true. I can speak with some authority on this one as I've regularly attended these church denominations:

Roman Catholic

Lutheran

United Methodist

Convenant

Evangelical Free

Christian & Missionary Alliance

Assemblies of God

Independent

Plus visited many others. They all have people who are just there to be seen, or to follow tradition, or because they think attending will earn the "points" with God or something.

But it is also true that there are people in every congregation who are trying to get it right.

300 posts! - BitBuster - 23-Mar-2012

Quote:But it is also true that there are people in every congregation who are trying to get it right.

Oh, definitely! I wasn't saying that all church-goers are cynical hypocrites...just that a large number of them are.

300 posts! - BigOto2 - 23-Mar-2012

A lot of churches these days are boycotting Starbucks for supporting gay rights; this one just makes me facepalm and then BBQrage (and then other members of the community start attacking my maturity and I facepalm again).

300 posts! - AdrenalinDragon - 23-Mar-2012

Quote:A lot of churches these days are boycotting Starbucks for supporting gay rights; this one just makes me facepalm and then BBQrage (and then other members of the community start attacking my maturity and I facepalm again).

Not Starbucks! Anyone but Starbucks! Where would I get my alcohol substitute from? Slight frown

300 posts! - jblewis - 23-Mar-2012

I can't say I know of any Christians who are doing that.

300 posts! - BitBuster - 24-Mar-2012

Quote:A lot of churches these days are boycotting Starbucks for supporting gay rights; this one just makes me facepalm and then BBQrage (and then other members of the community start attacking my maturity and I facepalm again).

...well, it sort of makes sense, the way one might boycott a chain for, say, supporting child labor in China. If you're really opposed to a certain principle, then it makes sense to protest against it via withholding your George Washingtons and Ben Franklins (the only way a lot of people in the Western world will ever learn a lesson).

Of course, there's hardly a parallel between gay rights and child labor, but I'm optimistic that, whatever else my/our generation's flaws, we're generally tolerant of homosexuality, interracial marriage, etc. Things are getting better, if only slightly.