CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum
...so, what do you think about tomorrow's Wikipedia/Reddit blackout? - Printable Version

+- CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum (https://forum.bitbusters.club)
+-- Forum: Non-Chip's Challenge (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: ...so, what do you think about tomorrow's Wikipedia/Reddit blackout? (/thread-2422.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

...so, what do you think about tomorrow's Wikipedia/Reddit blackout? - BitBuster - 17-Jan-2012

Personally, I'm disappointed that more websites aren't doing this. A 24-hour Facebook blackout would galvanize even the most politically apathetic Internet user.

(Maybe this isn't such a big issue at this forum since only a few of us are from the States...)

...so, what do you think about tomorrow's Wikipedia/Reddit blackout? - AdrenalinDragon - 17-Jan-2012

Wikipedia is shutting down? Flushed

As for Facebook, I can live without it. Thumbs up

...so, what do you think about tomorrow's Wikipedia/Reddit blackout? - BitBuster - 17-Jan-2012

I don't even have a Facebook account. Frankly, I'm almost antagonistic towards Facebook, and were it to shut down, I'd take a perverse pleasure in the panic attacks that would surely be suffered by its dedicated users (approximately 15% of the USA, by my cynical estimate).

Actually, AdrenalinDragon, you're in England, so I don't think the Wikipedia blackout will affect you. I'm pretty sure that it's a USA-only thing, since SOPA is primarily a USA concern (though it would have ramifications for the entire Internet).

...so, what do you think about tomorrow's Wikipedia/Reddit blackout? - BigOto2 - 17-Jan-2012

Hell, I'd support a YOUTUBE blackout for a day, even though it is my favorite of the social networking sites (I don't care so much about Facebook). It would also be hilarious if tons of websites joined together and did it for a day, leading to a major information loss great enough to send SOPA to an entirely different dimension. Internet censorship is wrong, period. Go directly to source to battle piracy, don't just pepper spray the whole crowd for something only a few people did.

Maybe CCZone should do it sometime.

The Youtube blackout is another good idea. I'm disappointed that Google didn't join in the blackout; shutting down Gmail might be overkill, but killing the search function for 24 hours would be quite the statement.

...so, what do you think about tomorrow's Wikipedia/Reddit blackout? - Green Kitten - 17-Jan-2012

Quote:Actually, AdrenalinDragon, you're in England, so I don't think the Wikipedia blackout will affect you. I'm pretty sure that it's a USA-only thing, since SOPA is primarily a USA concern (though it would have ramifications for the entire Internet).

English Wikipedia is blackouting as well.

Cool. More kudos to Wikipedia, then!

...so, what do you think about tomorrow's Wikipedia/Reddit blackout? - jblewis - 17-Jan-2012

They actually got Wikipedia to do it? Good to hear!

...so, what do you think about tomorrow's Wikipedia/Reddit blackout? - AdrenalinDragon - 17-Jan-2012

Does this mean we lose the Chip's Challenge wikia? Slight frown