CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum
Underused concepts? - Printable Version

+- CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum (https://forum.bitbusters.club)
+-- Forum: Chip's Challenge (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Underused concepts? (/thread-2499.html)

Pages: 1 2

Underused concepts? - BitBuster - 06-Jan-2012

Maybe level designers find it a bit crude, but I'm surprised at the lack of levels in which you actually have to "beat the clock." Even CC1 only had a few (Knot and Glut); in general, it seems like the clock it more a scorekeeper than something you actually have to watch carefully. I don't remember ever running into time trouble while playing CC1. (After downloading some of the sets mentioned in the "Custom Set Roulette" thread, I was pleasantly surprised to find the Tank Dance levels in CharlesH1).

Teeth-leading levels (Totally Unfair, YCTAOFNT) are always fun.

I'm under the impression that, in Lynx, a monster that dies in a section of water effectively "poisons" this tile for Chip. Is this true? If so, are there any levels that exploit this aspect of Lynx play? Does pushing a block into such a water tile turn into dirt as usual?

Underused concepts? - AdrenalinDragon - 06-Jan-2012

The reason there probably isn't many tight time limit levels is most likely because casual players will struggle to finish it. Besides, levels with tight time limits that are long are sometimes very frustrating, but shorter ones are more forgiving, but are usually not fun. As far as I know, a Lynx monster does not poison tiles, but I might be wrong.

Underused concepts? - quiznos00 - 06-Jan-2012

Quote:Maybe level designers find it a bit crude, but I'm surprised at the lack of levels in which you actually have to "beat the clock." Even CC1 only had a few (Knot and Glut); in general, it seems like the clock it more a scorekeeper than something you actually have to watch carefully. I don't remember ever running into time trouble while playing CC1. (After downloading some of the sets mentioned in the "Custom Set Roulette" thread, I was pleasantly surprised to find the Tank Dance levels in CharlesH1).

There are actually quite a few in CCLP2, but really only two that I can think of in CCLP3 (Cheap Shots and Dirty Tricks and Shattered). I really never liked Glut or Knot, or any of the CCLP2 race-against-the-time levels, because levels where you have to rush usually just involve mindless collecting and dodging and aren't that interesting. Cheap Shots and Dirty Tricks and Shattered are more interesting, but as a result, they're more frustrating.

Quote:Teeth-leading levels (Totally Unfair, YCTAOFNT) are always fun.

I wouldn't call this underused... I use it quite a bit.

Quote:I'm under the impression that, in Lynx, a monster that dies in a section of water effectively "poisons" this tile for Chip. Is this true? If so, are there any levels that exploit this aspect of Lynx play? Does pushing a block into such a water tile turn into dirt as usual?

Yes.

Not that I know of, since most levels are designed with MS play in mind. And yes, but Chip must wait 3/5 of a second before he can step on the dirt.

Underused concepts? - BigOto2 - 06-Jan-2012

I think we need more levels like this, too. Shattered was a CCLP3 highlight, and I have a level in my set where you have to get a chip every second to win (Chips required = time limit). My best time on this level is around 20 or 30, knowing everything to do.

Underused concepts? - AdrenalinDragon - 06-Jan-2012

Quote:I think we need more levels like this, too. Shattered was a CCLP3 highlight, and I have a level in my set where you have to get a chip every second to win (Chips required = time limit). My best time on this level is around 20 or 30, knowing everything to do.

Agreed. Levels where you are against the clock can be very good and quite fulfilling. You should have a look at my TomP3 lvl 65 example. It's quite hard and very tight on the clock.

Underused concepts? - Flareon350 - 06-Jan-2012

I love levels with tight time limits! I have quite a few in my 3rd set. And one noticable one in JoshL2, called Cracking. It may look like a fairly timed level but it's really a strict time limit. The only unforgiving part of the level is that there is an instance of going through a "BLOBDANCE" room....twice.

Underused concepts? - jblewis - 06-Jan-2012

Welcome to CCZone, BitBuster! I have to ask - are you someone who has been a part of the community within the NG?

I also enjoy tight time limits too, particularly when used in conjunction with concepts that can be interesting when that added bit of pressure is placed on the player to solve them in such a short amount of time. This, among other reasons, is why I count "Just a Minute!!" (CCLP2 #49) among my favorite levels.

What did you mean by "poisoning" water? As far as I know, a monster dying in water while Chip stands in it will cause Chip to die. Water doesn't behave any differently after the death, though.

Underused concepts? - rockdet - 06-Jan-2012

I made one of these: Time Suspension Pt.1.

J.B. can you help me remembering myself stuff I forgot to remember about my own rememberings? (Did I make any other?)

Underused concepts? - jblewis - 07-Jan-2012

I'd put the "Contradictions" series and "Judas' Last Stand" in there as well.

Underused concepts? - BitBuster - 07-Jan-2012

Hi John; I was basically a lurker at the newsgroup. Thanks for clearing up the part about monsters & water in Lynx; I guess it could still be used as a Lynx-only concept, but...