CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum
CC Emulator for Android - Printable Version

+- CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum (https://forum.bitbusters.club)
+-- Forum: Chip's Challenge (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Programs and Editors (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: CC Emulator for Android (/thread-2677.html)

Pages: 1 2

CC Emulator for Android - sombies - 15-Sep-2020

Inspired by Rommy's on android (and with a bit too much free time during covid), I have built a CC emulator in Unity for android. Nothing too fancy, but a quick and dirty way to get your Chip fix on mobile.

Supports custom skin files and a level pack uploader built into the app (thus the file access permission request, which is not required to play). No ads, all free.

I am always interested in feedback, as long as you don't ask me to overhaul it :P

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.LlamaCo.SamsSquares

-sombies

RE: CC Emulator for Android - JDGP030302 - 16-Sep-2020

Not that i downloaded it but this is pretty interesting! By the way, is the 22MB size due to the use of Unity? I mean, that is noticeable larger than Tile World, the original Chip's  Challenge or even Super Mario 64 (DS) (he, he)!

Also i would be good if it supported .CCX or came with the version of CCLP2 for Lynx.

RE: CC Emulator for Android - EatMyShorts - 16-Sep-2020

I like it! 

Good job points to you good sir/madam.

RE: CC Emulator for Android - sombies - 16-Sep-2020

(16-Sep-2020, 3:10 AM)JDGP030302 Wrote: Not that i downloaded it but this is pretty interesting! By the way, is the 22MB size due to the use of Unity? I mean, that is noticeable larger than Tile World, the original Chip's  Challenge or even Super Mario 64 (DS) (he, he)!

Also i would be good if it supported .CCX or came with the version of CCLP2 for Lynx.
Thanks!

Yes, it's definitely a chonker. I'm not sure what Unity packages in or removes during the compilation process, so for all I know it could include some of the libraries for 3D rendering and physics inside of it. Sadly, it's one of the smaller apps that I have built in Unity lol.

Regarding rule sets, movement is MS style, but tile rules and layering is more Lynx. So I packaged it with CCLP2LX vs CCLP2. 

I have played through CC1, CCLP1, half of CCLP2LX, and a bit of CCLP3 (including "Two Sets of Rules"), so all these levels are solvable afaik.

RE: CC Emulator for Android - Flareon350 - 22-Sep-2020

Hiya, I downloaded your app for this before I went on a two week vacation and played some of it! Even ported some of my own sets to play while on the plane and whatnot and I gotta say, it's a pretty solid way to play CC on the go!

I did run into a fairly significant flaw in levels that have monsters on top of exits - the game recognizes touching such tile combinations as beating the level when it normally would kill the player.

RE: CC Emulator for Android - sombies - 23-Sep-2020

(22-Sep-2020, 10:03 PM)Flareon350 Wrote: Hiya, I downloaded your app for this before I went on a two week vacation and played some of it! Even ported some of my own sets to play while on the plane and whatnot and I gotta say, it's a pretty solid way to play CC on the go!

I did run into a fairly significant flaw in levels that have monsters on top of exits - the game recognizes touching such tile combinations as beating the level when it normally would kill the player.
Glad to hear it!

Skipping monsters sounds less like a flaw and more of a feature, jk :P

The game was configured process the base tile before running through the top layer (which would contain the monster). I have switched the order of processing and now it will check the top layer for collisions before the base layer, which I assume should fix this. This will be pushed in the next update. 

You may laugh at this, but I can't think of a scenario where a monster is on an exit block and it doesn't jump onto your block before you jump to the exit block. Would you be able to direct me to a specific level or pack that this occurs on? For testing of course!

Thanks!

RE: CC Emulator for Android - random 8 - 23-Sep-2020

(23-Sep-2020, 8:56 PM)sombies Wrote: You may laugh at this, but I can't think of a scenario where a monster is on an exit block and it doesn't jump onto your block before you jump to the exit block. Would you be able to direct me to a specific level or pack that this occurs on? For testing of course!

Thanks!

If you're on gravel, or if the monster is a teeth and you move on their off parity, to name a couple examples. As for specific levels, off the top of my head there's An Exit to Remember by Josh but i forget which pack it's in.

RE: CC Emulator for Android - sombies - 24-Sep-2020

(23-Sep-2020, 9:57 PM)random 8 Wrote:
(23-Sep-2020, 8:56 PM)sombies Wrote: You may laugh at this, but I can't think of a scenario where a monster is on an exit block and it doesn't jump onto your block before you jump to the exit block. Would you be able to direct me to a specific level or pack that this occurs on? For testing of course!

Thanks!

If you're on gravel, or if the monster is a teeth and you move on their off parity, to name a couple examples. As for specific levels, off the top of my head there's An Exit to Remember by Josh but i forget which pack it's in.
Right, gravel, thanks! I knew I was missing something simple. And the teeth/blob thing could work as well.

Ok, I simulated it in my editor and its fixed now. I rolled it live last night, but Android now takes a few days to review apps before it is pushed to the public. Thank you for the feed back!

RE: CC Emulator for Android - JDGP030302 - 24-Sep-2020

Taking into account how awkward it can be to simulate a directional control with a touchscreen, it would be nice if this supported external controls like a gamepad. Or a keyboard. In the last case it is possible to use a program called scrcpy to control an Android phone from a PC as if it were a keyboard connected to the phone. The shortcuts from the original Tile World would also be a nice detail. I would also appreciate a smaller file size but i understood your explanation.
Also, it would be nice if this supported other languages. I am willing to translate this to Spanish (of course, i would need a list of all text strings).

RE: CC Emulator for Android - Flareon350 - 24-Sep-2020

An Exit to Remember is where I discovered that flaw, yes I should have stated so prior, apologies. Looking forward to that update and playing more!