Chip's Challenge Creator
Thanks for the positive feedback! It's definitely helpful, plus I'm always happy to hear my work has been of benefit to someone. Slight smile

I'd like to address some of your comments in more detail:

Quote:3 hours ago, chipster1059 said:

THE TILES

[...] there are some unused tiles that the editor does not allow to place, and levels containing them do not display properly. These include the random tile, and the voodoo tiles from Enter the Void in TSAlpha.

I've debated adding the "random tile", but it's really just a glitch, not even as "real" a tile as the invalid tiles from CC1, so I'm hesitant about officially supporting it. Are there many people interested in actually using it?

And I have no idea what you mean by "voodoo tiles". Another CC2 invalid tile thing?

Quote:Quote

DRAWING

While the official editor allows only one method for placing tiles, this one offers several. The "line" and "fill" features have been useful on a few occasions.

I'm curious: by "fill" do you mean the "box draw" tool, or the "flood fill" tool? The "flood fill" tool is one I'm particularly proud of, as I can see many potential uses for it and it's something none of the previous editors have offered. Slight smile

The path maker is good in theory, and I used it often in CCEdit. However, there are a few bugs in its implementation here. When using force floors, I would expect crossings to turn into ice (like in CCEdit), but it doesn't happen. It is also problematic with train tracks. [...]

I'd forgotten how CCEdit treats force floor path crossovers. That would definitely be a good feature for CC Creator to have, and I'll look into adding it. Regarding train track crossovers, I'm aware of the awkwardness, but was limited by how I designed the path mechanism. There might be something I can do about it, though, and I'll look at it at the same time I look at the force floor pathing issue.

[...] when I try to make a loop in wires, the editor hangs, and I am forced to kill the process. The editor also fails to open levels containing wire loops.

Yeah, this was just reported in the Skype chat and I added it to the Known Issues list. I was certain I had designed a whole mechanism to avoid that possible problem, but it turns out I only designed it in my head. Smiley Anyway, the issue is now fixed in my alpha code, but I don't know when/if I'll release another beta update (I'd really like to be releasing the production version Soon!).

"VIEW" OPTIONS

[...] the ability to see the 10*10 viewing area in the game (it would be nice to have it enabled by default) [...]

It's supposed to be enabled by default, but I set it to default-disabled in my alpha version and apparently forgot to set it back for beta release. I just checked, though, and update 0.2 has it working properly.

Seeing teleport order is also nice. My only complaint? When the level has a lot of green teleports, it's crazy...

[Image: unknown.png]

(image by Tyler)

(Leaving the image in the quote 'cause it's hilarious.... Smiley)

Unfortunately I couldn't think of any better way to draw green teleport connections, that accurately conveys the manner in which any green teleport in the level targets every single other green teleport in the level. I'm just hoping people don't make too many levels like the one depicted, where the super-connectivity is an issue. And of course, you have the option of making the connection metagraphics show only on mouseover. But I'm open to alternate suggestions if anyone has any.

IMPORTING AND EXPORTING

At first, I was a bit confused by the export/import/save features, but once I figured it out, it all became simple. The editor saves in its native CCS format. Then, the CCS can be exported into a C2M, C2G or DAT file.

This is largely correct, though I was concerned that it might be a little too weird for people to figure out without the still-under-construction help manual. I'm glad to see that's not the case. Slight smile

I say "largely correct" because it's not actually necessary to save to the native format before doing an export: you can export from an unsaved project just as well, it just doesn't mark the project as saved (because most of the export options only export part of the project).

I didn't get any opportunities to use the "import" feature. When I did, it eseentially behaved like "open". I assume its main uses would be to import CCX data into a DAT levelset, and add extra levels to a CC2 levelset?

Yeah, those are two probable uses. The main point of the "import" feature is that it adds to the current project, whereas the "open" feature replaces the current project, losing any unsaved work in the process (and resetting the edit history).

[...] I was also pleasantly surprised that a level with a time limit larger than 1000 converted properly (although the CC2 game displays 999 while these extra seconds drain away, like with chips).

CC Creator supports the full possible range of time limits, common to MSCC, Tile World and CC2, which is 0-65535 seconds. Once compatibility testing is enabled, it will give a warning when an "undisplayable" time limit is set.

However, the export feature has a few bugs. When I tried converting a CC1 level that contains a lot of chips under locks, the C2M file contained simple locks.

Locks on top of chips is not a valid combination in C2M; the file physically can't handle it, so the buried chips are ignored. Once compatibility testing is enabled, it will warn you that that's going to happen.

When I used shift+click to put custom floors under monsters, the resulting C2M file had the monsters on regular floor. [...]

Shift+click puts the tile in the "buried" layer, which is not supported by C2M (nor Lynx-mode Tile World). You need to place the floor first, then the monster on top of it, just like in the original CC2 editor.

I've considered adding a separate input sequence, such as control+click, to place a tile in the "terrain" layer while preserving the creatures and objects on top of it. Would people find this feature useful?

OTHER THINGS

The changelog for the 0.2 release mentions changes to the “replace” option. I'm a bit confused as to what this option is?

[Image: BsYc7L2.png]

[...]

I was really excited by the clipboard feature, which would hopefully make it possible to copy some tiles from one level to another. Unfortunately, the editor often failed to cut or copy the selected tiles, simply outputting some weird code on the command line. This generally happens when there are monsters in the area being copied, but I have not been able to reliably reproduce this bug, unfortunately Slight frown

That's really weird. It sounds like the program is throwing an exception (that's what causes the message to be printed to the command line), but I have no idea why that would be happening. If it happens again, can you copy the message for me?

Messages In This Thread
Chip's Challenge Creator - by The Architect - 05-Nov-2016, 5:44 PM
Chip's Challenge Creator - by Joshua Bone - 06-Nov-2016, 2:43 PM
Chip's Challenge Creator - by The Architect - 20-Nov-2016, 1:01 AM
Chip's Challenge Creator - by The Architect - 26-Dec-2016, 3:05 AM
Chip's Challenge Creator - by random 8 - 26-Dec-2016, 4:47 PM
Chip's Challenge Creator - by The Architect - 27-Dec-2016, 12:00 AM
Chip's Challenge Creator - by mobius - 25-Jan-2017, 9:42 PM
Chip's Challenge Creator - by The Architect - 26-Jan-2017, 5:55 PM
Chip's Challenge Creator - by The Architect - 28-Jan-2017, 9:37 PM
Chip's Challenge Creator - by mobius - 31-Jan-2017, 5:29 PM
Chip's Challenge Creator - by The Architect - 18-Mar-2017, 8:20 PM