CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum
Do you drive a car? - Printable Version

+- CC Zone - Chip's Challenge Forum (https://forum.bitbusters.club)
+-- Forum: Non-Chip's Challenge (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Poll Station (https://forum.bitbusters.club/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: Do you drive a car? (/thread-2532.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Do you drive a car? - geodave - 20-Feb-2012

Quote:Well, I know where I live it's much better to start to slow down early, because often times poor road conditions require it. A few examples:

In the summer we can go a few weeks or more between thunderstorms, although we usually get SOME rain it's not enough to effectively wash the roads. That means that all the junk and rubber and oil from vehicles and their tires accumulates on the road, and when that gets rained on it's damn slippery at times.

Which leads to... Freezing rain in the spring / fall is a bitch, because sometimes you'll try to stop for an intersection 100 yards back and you'll skid clear through the intersection.

Also, general snow and ice in the winter. This winter hasn't been normal, because besides two cold snaps it's been in the 30's and 40's. We should have several feet of acumulated snow by now.

Which is why no one in their right mind lives in Wisconsin. (fyi I was born in Minnesota and live in Michigan. Tongue)

Do you drive a car? - Lessinath - 20-Feb-2012

Quote:Which is why no one in their right mind lives in Wisconsin. (fyi I was born in Minnesota and live in Michigan. Tongue)

Isn't it terrible? I'd rather live here then in Michigan, though. BlobFire block

Quote:...drive like you are carrying nitroglycerine.

Solid nitroglycerine is actually very stable, but as a liquid it's so unstable the first bump in the road would set it off no matter how carefully you were driving.

Tongue

Do you drive a car? - James - 20-Feb-2012

Quote:I'm technically not allowed to have a girlfriend by my parents until I'm 18

Rules like that really tilt me. If there's something special going on love-wise, why should you be held back from it? Also, arbitrary age limits tilt me even harder...at 17 years 364 days 23 hours and 59 minutes old, you're clearly too immature to make your own decisions, but one minute later you're mature enough to be fully autonomous. Sounds legit Thumbs up

Would not get along well with your parents, lol. (or the government, or...I digress)

Do you drive a car? - BitBuster - 21-Feb-2012

...here you can be locked up for life or even put on death row for a crime you commited when you were 15, but at the same age you can't drive*, can't sign contracts, can't buy cigs or alcohol, can't drop out of school, can't go to strip clubs, etc. It makes no sense whatsoever.

*As with other items on this list, there are exceptions. But for the most part, they hold true.

Do you drive a car? - PB_guy - 21-Feb-2012

Age limits are set because we need cutoffs. In a perfect world, a step to the next level would be based on the maturity of the individual. That is the job of parenting. However, in the legal world, you are not allowed to discriminate, so we must require arbitrary standards which are not necessarily relevant to either ability or maturity.

My favorite saying: "You may only be young once, but you can be immature all your life"

Ian

Do you drive a car? - geodave - 21-Feb-2012

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't act childish once in a while." -- Doctor Who

Do you drive a car? - James - 21-Feb-2012

Quote:Age limits are set because we need cutoffs. In a perfect world, a step to the next level would be based on the maturity of the individual. That is the job of parenting. However, in the legal world, you are not allowed to discriminate, so we must require arbitrary standards which are not necessarily relevant to either ability or maturity.

My favorite saying: "You may only be young once, but you can be immature all your life"

Ian

Of course. They're still incredibly frustrating though, so I'm glad I'm finally past them all.

(especially when they're inconsistent...here, if you're 18, you can go die for your country in a war or go influence its entire future by voting, but you cannot buy a drink or play in a poker game...)

Do you drive a car? - Flareon350 - 21-Feb-2012

Quote:Of course. They're still incredibly frustrating though, so I'm glad I'm finally past them all.

(especially when they're inconsistent...here, if you're 18, you can go die for your country in a war or go influence its entire future by voting, but you cannot buy a drink or play in a poker game...)

Crap that like really ticks me off. It makes no sense that way but welcome to planet Earth; where absolutely nothing makes sense anymore!

Do you drive a car? - BitBuster - 21-Feb-2012

Quote:Age limits are set because we need cutoffs. In a perfect world, a step to the next level would be based on the maturity of the individual. That is the job of parenting. However, in the legal world, you are not allowed to discriminate, so we must require arbitrary standards which are not necessarily relevant to either ability or maturity.

Well, it's one thing for the standards to be arbitrary; it's another for them to be completely pointless.

I can go along with setting 18 as the age at which you can legally buy cigs; I don't agree with that, but I can go along with that. What boggles my mind is that a 16-year-old can't buy cigarettes but CAN be arrested, prosecuted, and sentenced to death for a crime. You're not mature enough to decide whether or not you want to ruin your lungs, but you ARE mature enough to know right from wrong...that just makes no sense to me.

Do you drive a car? - PB_guy - 22-Feb-2012

Bitbuster. I do agree with you. The inconsistency comes because it was different groups that set the different standards. If you really want to change it, then you have to go political. It will take up your lifetime, and in the end, it probably won't be changed anyways. You have to be careful what goals you want to dedicate your life towards.

ian