Hillside Pack - Discussion
Thoughts on the levels:

1 - I like throwing the teeth off the top, but the chip collecting in the bottom feels kind of pointless.

2 - This level is challenging enough to keep you playing, but not so difficult you lose interest.

3 - Interesting mix of challenges with chip collecting that doesn't seem extra or tedious.

4 - Cool ending, but the rest of the level is nothing special. The cross motif feels a little extra in some places and just plain thrown in there in others.

5 - The only special thing about this level is the center piece. Other than that it's just a plain old maze, which has been done a thousand times.

6 - Fun block challenge with a concept you don't see too often.

7 - This level is so open and it has a cool ending, but the puzzles are too small, too few, and too easy to make it stand out.

8 - Too many long corridors and nothing new make this a sad little place.

9 - Fun intro to overriding force floors.

10 - Interesting toggle wall puzzles, but it doesn't really have much replay value.

11 - Great flow between puzzles and beautiful visual effect.

12 - Nice block puzzle, but I wish the suction boots were the ultimate goal or something.

13 - Fun little fast-paced boosting challenge.

14 - It may be short, but it's fun. I was stunned when I accidentally cooked it, but even more so when I realized my mistake. This level has great replay value.

15 - Simple and to the point. And fun.

16 - Interesting level that I would play again.

17 - Great switch from chip collecting to dodging.

18 - It's a shame this level is so short and doesn't have other challenges because it's an amazing concept.

19 - Not really anything special.

20 - Simple and short, but somewhat fun, mix of puzzles.

21 - Cool mini level.

22 - Just an all around amazing level that I would love to see in the final set.

23 - I wasn't a fan of this level the first time I played it, but it's replay value drew me back and I love it.

24 - As its designer, I will offer my commentary on this level. First of all, the level started when I had the idea for the upper right section, but it took off with my next idea to start a level with blockslide manipulation, so the intended solution for the start of the level is to have a block on (6, 21) and (7, 22), push the block at (7, 22) to the left, quickly push the block at (6, 21) to the left, push the block sliding on row 22 down, exit (6, 21) to the right, and fill the water at (8, 28) by pushing the block sliding down column 6 from the hint at (3, 28). My original intent was to include fire, which would've made the block section just above the flippers longer, but this level was a submission for the Palettes create competition and the palette didn't include fire, so I removed the fire and fire boots (my submission also missed the water at (8, 28) because I forgot to replace after I finished testing). Which clone machines are extra? The machines below were to prevent you from busting the block section in the middle, the machine in the middle provides you with the blocks you need to access the trap buttons in the upper right, and the machines in the upper right destroy the bombs and allow you to reach the buttons. You need the flippers because water is blocking your path to the trap buttons. I love the section in the upper right, too. The block section with the bombs was my tribute to MIX UP, which is one of my favorite sokobans of all the official sets. I figured it would be alright if I made it easier than the rest of the level as a break, but I wanted the connection to hold, so I went with that layout. I wanted to do more with the skates, but I didn't have much time and I liked that it was already involved in the path to the trap buttons. Personally, I love this level and the other one that I submitted for the same palette.

25 - Nothing special.

26 - Lovely and challenging paramecium level that I would like to see in the final set.

27 - Nothing special.

28 - It's fun to see what shapes you can end up with. This level has great replay value.

29 - One of the best maze levels I've seen. I would love for this to be a maze level in CCLP4.

30 - Nothing special.

31 - Beautiful level that was poorly executed, which is a shame because it could've been special.

32 - Nice intro level.

33 - Fun AMSTERDAM level.

34 - This level had me interested at first, but lost me after replaying.

35 - Interesting and fun to play. Nice compact feel, too.

36 - Nothing special.

37 - Fun level with good replay value, but it's unfortunate that you don't use the blocks on the force floors after collecting the chips.

38 - Lot of great puzzles. I'd love to see this level in the final set.

39 - Fun block puzzle, but more could've been done with the blocks.

40 - Nothing special.

41 - Nice level with some great manipulations and interesting puzzles.

42 - Nothing special.

43 - Nothing special.

44 - This is a good level to introduce the player to glider interactions.

45 - Fun mini level, but I can't really see it in the set.

46 - Interesting waiting game without the replay value.

47 - Great recessed wall maze with a beautiful layout.

48 - Nice use of toggle walls. Good level to introduce the player to toggle wall manipulations.

49 - Good mix of fire puzzles and fire-themed elements.

50 - Great challenging island sokoban that I would like to see in the final set.
Queen

Messages In This Thread
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by Flareon350 - 15-Jul-2016, 12:22 AM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by chipster1059 - 17-Jul-2016, 7:26 PM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by jblewis - 19-Jul-2016, 11:48 PM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by Flareon350 - 19-Jul-2016, 11:59 PM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by random 8 - 20-Jul-2016, 3:11 AM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by ajmiam - 25-Jul-2016, 11:04 PM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by Flareon350 - 26-Jul-2016, 5:56 AM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by Ihavenoname248 - 09-Aug-2016, 6:48 PM
Hillside Pack - Discussion - by RB3ProKeys - 01-Jan-2017, 7:25 AM