February 2019 Create Competition - Walls of CC2
Nice to see the results! (I must say, any delays in them were due to me and not Chipster!)

I didn't solve the other levels as they used a lot of the fancy CC2 stuff and were too complicated for me.

I do want to reply about my own entry though. I didn't know it mattered where I wrote the short comment. I made the level for three rule sets, so it was simplest to keep it in the hint field. The hint text is also a bit of a misdirect, as the puzzle aspect also applies to the upper area of the level. Or at least that was the idea, which didn't really work out. I was hoping that if the dodging in the upper area was too difficult, you could alter the tank movements in such a way that visiting the top area more than once made it easier. Maybe this works in MS but not really in Lynx or CC2. Had this not been a "walls of" creation, I would definitely have made the upper area also have a simpler way to solve it with maybe some more safe spots. Removing that one horizontally moving tank (on the fifth row) was something I considered, but doing so just took away all the stuff I found interesting in that area, so I left it in. In hind sight, I should have removed the one that was on the third row (or even pointed it in the other direction, giving the player a better visual queue based on the lower tank).

I didn't add any bonus flags either, because I believe not every CC2 level needs to have them. I did experiment with them in the upper area of the level, but decided against them for compatibility with CC1. Perhaps overall my mistake was to even try making such a level. When one tank movement worked nicely in one rule set, the collisions in another rendered it different or even unsolvable.

Thanks for the feedback and the judging!

A big thanks to Ryan for making all these template sets! It does sound like it wasn't always a small task, but they really did help out! I know I was inspired by going through your set, not the original.

Messages In This Thread
February 2019 Create Competition - Walls of CC2 - by M11k4 - 15-Mar-2019, 1:10 AM