mainstream video games becoming dumbed down
The problem is, one size does not fit all (the inverse is a fallacy into which the game industry, and society in general, unfortunately have fallen over the past several decades). And a wider audience is not necessarily a good target for creativity.

Some people want easier levels, that are still fun to explore and aesthetically pleasing, but don't require enormous amounts of thinking/skill. Other people want a challenge, and are willing to exert as much effort and determination as necessary to overcome the challenge. There's no reason there can't be both kinds of levels, to satisfy both kinds of players.

I think it's important to remember that you're not the only creator out there. Other people are also designing levels, in many different styles and difficulty-levels. There's enough variety to cover everyone's preferred play-style. So instead of focusing on what other people may or may not want to play, I would simply create what I want to play -- and those with similar tastes will enjoy my levels, and those with somewhat differing tastes may still enjoy them as a break from other kinds of levels.

To clarify, I am not saying that the fun:difficulty balance is not important. But I think what other players find fun/difficult is a bad metric to measure that balance. If you enjoy making/solving hard levels, then that's probably the right balance for you.

Don't try to be something you're not (especially as a creative artist).

Messages In This Thread
mainstream video games becoming dumbed down - by The Architect - 23-Apr-2018, 4:43 PM