Poll: SHOULD WE STANDARDIZE THE USAGE OF EXTENSIONS FOR USER LEVELSETS?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
YES, STANDARDIZE ALL LEVELSET EXTENSIONS TO .CCL.
17.65%
3 17.65%
YES, STANDARDIZE ALL LEVELSET EXTENSIONS TO .DAT.
11.76%
2 11.76%
NO, KEEP USING BOTH EXTENSIONS, AND MAINTAIN THE CREATOR'S ORIGINAL CHOICE.
70.59%
12 70.59%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

NOW CLOSED -- POLL: .dat, .ccl, or both?
You can have several tws files for a given levelset, no matter if it uses .dat or .ccl, there's no need to go through the procedure you mentioned. Your setup with CHIPS.DAT doesn't sound entirely correct. The approach below is what I use, and it works equally fine with both .ccl and .dat files.

Copy the levelset file (let's call it level.ccl) into the data/ directory. If you want to play the set in both MS and Lynx, two dac files should be created in sets/, one for each ruleset. They can for instance be called level-MS.dac and level-Lynx.dac. The contents of these files should be something like:

file=level.ccl (enter levelset name here, with correct extension)

ruleset=[MS or Lynx]

When you play, two files will be created in the save/ directory, with .tws appended to the filename in sets/ (so level-MS.dac has a save file called level-MS.dac.tws). With this setup, there's no need to swap out files.

Tile World (both 1 and 2) comes with a set called intro.dat that has this setup, with the files sets/intro-lynx.dac, sets/intro-ms.dac together with the set data/intro.dat. It might be useful to take a look at these files. It also comes with .dac files for chips.dat that works if data/chips.dat exists.

EDIT: While I'm posting here I might as well say something about the poll. I think it's kind of unnecessary to have 2 extensions for the same file format. But it also feels a bit wrong to change the file names given by the designers, so I guess I like option #3 best, and defaulting to .DAT if nothing is known (I prefer .dat since it came before .ccl).

Messages In This Thread
NOW CLOSED -- POLL: .dat, .ccl, or both? - by H2O - 26-May-2017, 4:03 PM
NOW CLOSED -- POLL: .dat, .ccl, or both? - by H2O - 26-May-2017, 4:44 PM
NOW CLOSED -- POLL: .dat, .ccl, or both? - by ruben - 29-May-2017, 3:01 PM