AndrewR1 feedback and discussion
Quote:Before I address this, I should note that most of the levels in this set date back many years, so when I say I don't like something myself, you might find yourself wondering why I, as the level designer, haven't changed it, but as a rule I don't like changing levels entirely as opposed to simply creating new ones. (I view doing so as a sort of creative destruction, if you will.) That said, minor and sometimes even medium-level changes can be acceptable, even to a level made a long time ago, if they don't make the map unrecognizable.
I like this type of updating, where you improve levels but don't make them unrecognizable.

Quote:Yeah, this is obviously the magnum opus of the set, which is why it's still the only CCLP level. My opinion of the specific parts you named is exactly the opposite, though - I don't really care for the fireball part much (it somehow manages to seem obvious and pointless at the same time) while the tank part - and that whole area, really - I consider to be one of the best level segments, if you can call it that, in this set.

Since this is a CCLP level, it gets an extra paragraph! Smiley Quite possibly the most important thing that I look at when I judge a level - especially one of my own levels - is minimalism. This doesn't mean that big levels are out - in fact, large maps that employ minimalism are obviously far more difficult to make and I would thus rate them higher, all else being equal. What it does mean, though, is that there should be as few tiles as possible (ideally none) beyond what is required to accomplish the goal of a particular puzzle in a level. In this level, for instance, the fireball part does not fulfill this criterion to nearly the same extent as the tank portion (it could be made more compact while preserving the exact same core gameplay aspects, for example, while the part with the tanks would lose much aesthetic appeal this way).
I appreciate elegant design and the subset of it which you call minimalism. However, I do value the gaming experience of minimalizing every puzzle (that's a word right??). That's the reason I like the fireball area, as it is exciting to be trapped in the circle with the fireball and block. The size of the room is not minimalistic, but it creates a fun experience when you can't always see the fireball and you just have to know which way it is going.

Quote:Why? This is one of the best levels in the set! Even if you don't like levels that involve trudging through force floor corridors (I know some players don't), it's so short that I think you should give it a chance anyways.
So I gave it another try. I like it even less now. The structure punishes me too much for missing an intersection, and combined with the time limit I find myself going around the same parts of the level over and over again. These long corridors definitely do not confirm to minimalism.

Quote:Seriously? I think you're the second person to say this about this level (unless it was you before), and I have to say I find it rather bizarre. I mean, I thought that the problem with guesswork in levels is that if you get it wrong, you would have to start all over again... but here the (only) guessing is performed within seconds at the very start! You're basically arguing for not having guesswork in levels at all, which I don't think is a reasonable stance to have. (Unless, of course, you're also talking about guessing where to push the blocks, in which case you should simply have checked from the respective corridors first - you can actually see the number of water spaces at each level from there.)
Yes, I meant the guessing at the start. It feels pointless. How does it ever make the player feel good? They miss most of the time and some of those times they see which way to go on their next attempt. Even when they do hit the right one on their first attempt, do they feel smart because they picked the correct one? I don't see how. All it does for me is waste one minute of my time realizing that yes, this was a pure luck based thing that I had no control over. If you like it, fine, but I will always call it out Slight smile

Quote:Ouch! So much criticism for what I think is a brilliant level. I'm beginning to see a pattern here... maybe you prefer levels that you can solve on the first attempt? I mean, I know MSCC encourages this with the whole "Yowser! First Try!" thing, but personally, I don't find creating a whole set of levels like that a good idea. (I'm also not sure what you're referring to in regards to the level number, as that's certainly not the number of times to count here.)
Yes, a lot of criticism because I care enough about the puzzle to say something about it. I do prefer solving levels on my first attempt if possible, but I don't mind failing either if at least I have an idea of what to try next. The part I hate is redoing stuff, particularly things that I figured out quickly even on the first try. That does not apply here, so my dislike for the design choices here stem from other things.

Let's take a quick step back and see what exactly I don't like about the level even though I claim to like the puzzle, even at the risk of treading some of the same ground I did last time. So I start the level and if I am smart, I realize I only have 50 seconds to solve this level. Ok, so it's probably something pretty quick, maybe a dodging challenge. I see that there is some sort of mechanism on the other side of the walls, but nothing I can do about it right now. So I head to the center of the level and encounter a Teeth. I steal the block from him; notice that I found a chip; push the block to the only place I can, that is the water; and go open the socket. At this point, I might have 25 seconds left on the clock if I am a super genius and intimately familiar with this game. I press the trap button once. Ok, the toggles toggle once. I stay on the trap button and the toggles keep toggling. A fireball passes by. Now I have a pretty good idea of the mechanism that lurks outside my view. I pause the game and think of what I am doing. I have fifteen seconds left on the clock. I build the puzzle in my mind, imagining the fireball going around the toggle path. I deduce that eventually it will free the path to the exit, and all I have to do is time my departure from the trap button such that everything works. I un-pause and wait a bit till I feel the fireball might be close to its destination, and then step off the button again. I have 12 seconds left. I decide I must see where the fireball is at this moment, and go take a look. It is three toggles away from freeing the glider. I go and press the trap button.... but I run out of time. WHY??? WHY??! I was a super genius and I couldn't solve this level even if I figured it out inhumanly fast! Do I play the level again? All I will be doing is going through the same motions I already did and this time just knowing a bit better how far to count. Maybe I waste one 50 seconds going around the level and counting that I need to wait 23 times that the toggles switch, and settle for solving the level on my third try. (In practice, I am not actually superhuman and it takes me more than three tries.) Once I do solve the level, I have two thoughts in my mind: 1) that was a clever mechanism and I enjoyed figuring it out. 2) the frikkin' time limit is stupid. THAT is why I don't like the time limit. It distracts from a good puzzle. Even at 100 seconds, I don't think it is enjoyable to die on time in this level where I want to go back and forth to see where the fireball is so I don't end up just guessing the timing and re-trying when I fail, but actually adapting to what I see in the level. I need time to analyze a level. Slight smile

Ok, I have a couple more comments on the latter levels, but for now I have to leave it at this. See you soon!

Messages In This Thread
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 01-Jan-2016, 12:14 PM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by M11k4 - 29-Jan-2016, 6:18 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 29-Jan-2016, 9:49 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by jblewis - 30-Jan-2016, 12:26 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 30-Jan-2016, 9:26 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 31-Jan-2016, 9:49 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 01-Feb-2016, 11:20 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by M11k4 - 04-Feb-2016, 2:36 PM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 20-Oct-2017, 2:30 PM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 20-Oct-2017, 4:15 PM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 20-Oct-2017, 4:48 PM