CC2 Custom Set Review - "Rising" (v1.0)
Thanks a lot, I didn't expect any in depth feedback that soon Slight smile

In DIRT FILE I included in 1.0.1 a hint stating THE PINK BUTTONS ARE CONTROLLING THE THREE GLOBAL STATES OF THE PINK DOORS, and hope with this to avoid confusion or frustration about their purpose.

The exit in RISING at the very bottom I added in the last minute, so that it would not be necessary to run around to much. If you want to get all the bonuses, you still have to figure out certain things, but it's not supposed to be a challenge, or even a level which is played by itself, it's more a gimmick for the set than anything else, which worked pretty much as expected.

The first levels are really short, but generally I don't have anything against really short levels, they just have to be interesting in some regard, and based on the LP I would say they worked out as supposed when designing them. Combining the levels I still fear would end up in a pretty frustrating experience, as most of them required restarts, and having to replay the same parts over and over again, is never too much fun. And at least I personally don't like to hear a constant pinging sound as in HOT WATER for longer than necessary - another reason why this one is just an really short stand alone level. To ensure them not being to easy/short and feel pointless, I increased the difficulty of level 2 slightly.
Based on this suggestion however, I guess you will probably like PATTERN ISLANDS, 1234, CASTLE WINDOW, WEAK HYPERCHARGE, the 4 late additions to Explorer's Delight...

I can definitely understand the point about the layout in GREEN THUMB, it's done the way it is, to bring in some variety in the levels I design, and not have the layout based just on a few different principles. Seeing the LP, I think over all the level and the main puzzle worked out pretty well.

The circuit in CUT THE ICE is more complex than it needs to be in this level, as I designed it for general purpose, which means stepping again on the pink button while the timer is running should have no effect. Here of cause useless, since it just runs for roughly 0.2 seconds, which is not enough time to do so, but as said, it's anyhow nothing the player can see from within the level.

And just for completeness, there is no implication about anyone's taste if someone doesn't enjoy the levels Tongue

Messages In This Thread
CC2 Custom Set Review - "Rising" (v1.0) - by H2O - 09-Apr-2017, 3:00 PM