October 2014 Create Competition - Ice Ice Baby
The task for this month is simple: Create a new level that uses an ice block.

This means you will need to familiarize yourself with the ice block patch to either MSCC or TileWorld 1 if you already haven't done that. If you need help, please ask. It seems the wiki page for ice blocks could be updated to include some of this info so we really should update that too.

For extra credit, take a portion of an existing official level and apply ice blocks to it. For a simple example, you might take an existing sokoban and change all the blocks to ice blocks. Ideally this could highlight some curious feature or bring out something new in the existing design. I am very interested to see how you guys will find some new takes on familiar territory.

I will judge the competition at the start of November. The things I am looking for are:

1) Could the level be made without ice blocks?
If so, then this is not a good thing for your level. Basically, just use one of the properties of ice blocks that normal blocks don't have and you will do fine with regards to this point.

2) Is the level fun to play?
Block pushing levels can be a chore, but there are several ways to make them interesting. Even pure sokobans can be great, but they need a lot of work to design just right. If your level is very long, it will also need to be very good for me to like it more.

3) Would I build this level any differently?
This question is here basically as a general measure of how the level is designed and I just needed a short way of saying that. This includes things like aesthetics, originality, and some measure of planning put into the level.

4) Does the extra credit apply to the level?
The extra credit is not needed to win the competition if your level is otherwise brilliant, but it will decide between two similar levels in favor of the one that uses it. Partially the point of having this criteria is to encourage people to build something new instead of submitting something unreleased. It also gives participants some sort of jumping off point for design if nothing else comes to mind.

Other guidelines are as follows:
-Send in your submissions to either CCZoneNextLevel at gmail dot com or valeosote at hotmail dot com.
-Submissions are open as long as it is October 2014 where you live.
-The level must be solvable, and does not need to work in Lynx.
-Please give the level a reasonable name, hint, time limit, and set a password.
-You may submit more than one entry, but please keep the levels distinct from each other.
-You may write about 100 words describing your creation and the process of creating it.
-Entrants receive the normal prizes: the "You're Winner!"-award, Chip Cup points, and "Tool Box"-award for first time entrants.
-Please ask about other unclear situations.

Enjoy!

-Miika

Messages In This Thread
October 2014 Create Competition - Ice Ice Baby - by M11k4 - 06-Oct-2014, 2:36 AM