November 2021 Create Competition - Eleven
The sound of the gong ringing through CC Zone indicates that it's time for another create competition. Come one, come all to showcase your fabulous design skills.

This competition will be for cross-compatible CC1 and regular old CC2 levels and is based around these two (II) restrictions:
  • The level must be 11x11. If you're submitting a CC1 level, draw an impassible square border around the contents of your level such that the area inside the square is 11x11. Everything outside the border must be entirely composed of either floor tiles or the same tile type as the border. If you're submitting a CC2 level, set the map dimensions to 11x11.
  • The level must use exactly 11 tile types. Yellow character floor tiles (i.e. "B", "9", "$") are not allowed. Here are 11 arbitrary, non-obvious rulings I've made on what tile types do or don't count as separate tile types:
    1. Chip, Melinda, floor, wall, hint, computer chip, socket, and exit tiles all contribute toward the tile type count. I figured they were worth mentioning because they are so fundamental that I suspect they would be easy to ignore when counting tile types.
    2. If you're submitting a CC1 level, the tile type you use for the border must be on the list of tile types used within the border. For example, if your level uses blue walls instead of regular walls, the border of the level should be real blue walls.
    3. Clone machines are separate tile types from the mobs cloned in those machines. For example, if you have a bug cloner in your level, your list of tile types would include a clone machine and a bug.
    4. The same goes for "no signs": if you have a "no hiking boots" tile, the no sign and the hiking boots are considered two tile types.
    5. Tiles with directional variants are not separate tile types for the purposes of this competition. Some examples: a north facing force floor is the same tile type as an east facing force floor or a random force floor; a south facing teeth is the same tile type as a west facing teeth; all 16 variants of directional blocks count together as one tile type; and all ice corners and ice tiles count together as one tile type.
    6. If a tile has a fake/real variant or can otherwise have multiple states, those states do not count as separate tile types. Some examples: fake and real blue walls count together as one tile type; toggle chips and toggle bombs count as one tile type; every possible counter value counts together as one tile type; and all powered and unpowered railroad tiles count together as one tile type.
    7. Each color of key and door all count as separate tile types.
    8. Key thieves and tool thieves count as separate tile types.
    9. Custom wall and floor tiles are separate tile types from standard wall and floor tiles, but the different kinds of custom tiles are not separate tile types from each other.
    10. Wire and wire tunnels count together as one tile type and all logic gates count as another tile type.
    11. All bonus flags count together as one tile type, and time bonus, penalty, and toggle tiles count together as one tile type.

Submit no more than two (II) levels with a list of the tile types used in each submission to me via PM or Discord (snacksforsale#7212) by Tuesday, November 23 at noon UTC. That'll be 7am Eastern and 4am Pacific because DST will be over by then. I don't intend to grant extensions because I'd like to post the results before American Thanksgiving. This probably goes without saying, but unsolvable levels and levels which ignore the restrictions will not be considered in judging.

I don't have a hard and fast rubric for this competition, but I will be taking into account these three things (11 in binary) when judging your submissions:
  • How fun was the level? I will do my best to approach every level with an open mind, but I generally prefer clever puzzles over monster dodging challenges. Do with that information what you will.
  • How well does the level adhere to the spirit of the competition? As a counterexample, if your level only uses 7 or 8 tile types as part of the level and the rest are hidden away like the boots in Old Frog, that would not adhere to the spirit of the competition.
  • Does the level have a good aesthetic? I think this one is self-explanatory.

I tried to explain these rules as clearly as I could, but writing is hard. If you have any questions about the competition, feel free to reach out to me for clarification. Since I help moderate the bitbusters.club Discord server and never post here, I would prefer you ask your questions in #competitions on our Discord server or via DM if you're not on the server, but I will try to check this thread and my PMs regularly as well.

That's it. Good luck, have fun, etc.

Messages In This Thread
November 2021 Create Competition - Eleven - by snacksforsale - 23-Oct-2021, 2:55 PM