ajmiam-pit-of-100-tiles.dat
I really liked this set and must confess to playing through it way too quickly. The focus is on monster dodging without needing quick reflexes, and on puzzles that are not overly intricate but still satisfying. The set is full with clever approaches to design concepts without resorting to levels that are full of every type of puzzle at once. I found the difficulty curve satisfying, and the action levels at every decade to be nice refreshments. The time limits were not strict, and there was an unusual amount of untimed levels as well, so it's nice to see a different take on time limits from a designer. The set was great for casual play. It had virtually no hidden information; the randomness was very tolerable and used well; and intricate boosting was never a requirement. Most of the levels also should work quite well for optimizing as well (which is hard to judge without actually trying).

Here are some of my personal level highlights:

#29 (Mining for Gold Keys) - I really liked working this level out. There were several places where I really needed to stop and think which way to enter an area, and which blocks could be saved, and in all cases enough information was visible without it being too obvious. And the use of space and tight corridors, obviously with the gravel, has a very cave-like feel to it.

#32 (Combinations) & #38 (Keyrithmetic) - Enjoyed these puzzles very much. If they get into some CCLP, optimizing will be quite the task :-)

#46 (Teamwork) - Something about the aesthetics to this level just works. Having the walkers available does make the level a bit too easy, so I felt there was potential for a bit more. Even so, the level was quite recommendable.

#64 (64 Cell) - Why do I like this? I don't know. I just got stuck for close to two hours playing through it until I had a decent route. Why? I don't know. A big plus is not ever being able to cook the level (well almost, I did push the block against a wall once). Was hoping to see another entry in the series at #81, but I guess that will have to wait for your next set perhaps?

#82 (Automatic (Caution) Doors) - I loved this level! It's perfect! If I hadn't died once quite early, I might have solved it on my first attempt. That felt great! It combines having to move quickly in places while having as much time as needed to stop and think as well. The concept was executed admirably and the end result is exceptional! The only minus I can think of is to maybe rethink the name since the parentheses look odd.

#83 (Chip Compactor) - There were several levels with interesting tank arrangements and interactions, which culminate in this original take on tank dodging. I was quite scared heading for the exit, feeling that the tanks will turn too soon and I don't know exaclty where to go, but had to trust that there would be enough time and I did make it!

#88 (Outwit) - Wonderful name for a surprisingly nice teeth dodging level. Though it obviously took several attempts, I was never frustrated because I could choose a different area to start in if one direction started feeling stale. I always enjoy levels that are modular in this way.

There were several fun levels that I didn't mention here, so I thoroughly enjoyed myself playing this set. Thanks! Five stars from me, and am waiting for your next set!

Messages In This Thread
ajmiam-pit-of-100-tiles.dat - by ajmiam - 12-Feb-2012, 12:22 PM
ajmiam-pit-of-100-tiles.dat - by James - 14-Mar-2012, 9:59 PM
ajmiam-pit-of-100-tiles.dat - by M11k4 - 11-May-2012, 5:27 PM
ajmiam-pit-of-100-tiles.dat - by rockdet - 11-Feb-2013, 9:08 PM
ajmiam-pit-of-100-tiles.dat - by jblewis - 03-Mar-2013, 1:53 AM