Cobalt Pack - Discussion
I really enjoyed this pack. It started off a bit shaky for me, but then it kept building in quality gradually until it hit an amazing streak of levels at the very end. Some thoughts:

#2 (Moving and Unmoving): This is a classic example of an amazing concept that sadly gets muddled by unnecessary tedium. I love the idea of switching the button presses, but a couple of things happened that lowered the quality of the level for me: [a] the control mechanism is located in a spot that you have to revisit over and over again, and you really do have to revisit entire areas over and over again if you're playing this for the first time and can't keep track of what's where in the midst of all the itemswapping. Plus, the tank stopping is really frustrating to time in Lynx, which is exasperated by having to repeat it multiple times.

<strong>#10 (Chillblains):</strong> I enjoy the general feel of this maze. It's got some great dead ends and red herrings - it just needed a bit more in the aesthetics department. Maybe some gravel.

<strong>#14 (In a Nutshell):</strong> This is one of those levels that was awkward to play in CCLP1 voting, as it felt too hard for where it was trying to position itself in a set. I could totally see this in CCLP4, though. Maybe not as level 1, but certainly as a "remember how this works?" variety challenge following some simple levels. I appreciate how the one major "gotcha!" moment is at the start.

<strong>#16 (Nectar Meadow): </strong>One of my major contentions with a lot of campaign-style levels is that designers can easily fall into the trap of trying to cram in as many game elements as possible without any particular theme or aesthetic threading them together. There are some levels in which there's a mechanism that ties the structure of the level together, but the challenges themselves are just bland. (#5 in this pack is a good example.) This level, though, is a blast all around. Part of the reason it works so well is that it was built for a Create Competition in which the tile palette was limited. The colors of the tiles used mesh together in a way that feels very fresh. But even beyond aesthetics, the gameplay itself just flows beautifully. You never feel like the level is trying to be cheap, and the socket / green door aesthetic helps with making sure you watch your step and pay attention to your surroundings.

<strong>#17 (Hypnosis):</strong> I've said my peace on "you have to do the same thing four times" levels enough at this point.

<strong>#31 (Jungle Fever): </strong>When I designed this maze, my original prompt was "make something that would be as interesting to navigate as Frozen Labyrinth." I don't know if I succeeded on that count entirely, but I still enjoy playing this level and would love to see it in the final set.

<strong>#35 (...And Then There's This Level):</strong> This level just came right out of nowhere for me and really served up a challenge. What I really enjoyed about this was that none of the challenges really felt unfair. The opening teeth dodging felt a bit unnecessary, IMO, but the rest of it was really fun to crack. One of the most exhilarating feelings I get when playing CC casually is the rush that comes after feeling like something is impossible and then realizing that the solution was right in my face all along, and I didn't do anything to cook the level. This level has a few of those moments, albeit alongside a few "...really?" moments, most of which were my fault. Still, though, it was really enjoyable to play. I particularly liked how the force floor "teeth" were present in each room. Overall, this is a "quadrant" level done well.

<strong>#38 (Upstream):</strong> I love the aesthetic and theme, but boy, was that paramecia room a bit mean.

<strong>#44 (Revenge of the Level 1 Potted Plant):</strong> Earlier, while reviewing my own level Crosshairs, I mentioned that I thought there were better monster herding levels. This is certainly one of them. I love how contained the monsters' reach is whereas Chip's degree of movement, while limited, doesn't feel totally claustrophobic. Stopping the level after two challenges was also a smart move.

<strong>#45 (The Longest Track):</strong> There really isn't much CC material there like this level. And for that reason, I'm giving it a high rating. But beyond that, I love how its designer crafted an elegant puzzle that didn't need to be large and sprawling to provide a whopper of a challenge. I think CCLP4 could really benefit from having something like this toward the end of the set - a brain-burner that's more contained and focused and not lengthy.

<strong>#47 (Clay Tunnel): </strong>As far as aesthetics go, this level knocks it out of the park. But the gameplay itself complements it in a way that just clicks. Each room, while structurally similar, offers a different challenge. The zig-zag movement across the map makes the journey feel like an uphill climb underground, which is a really neat touch. I think the natural point of comparison for this level is Asphalt Line (#6 in this pack), which features a similarly well-executed "be careful what pop-up wall you use" theme. This one outdoes even that and was very enjoyable to play through.

<strong>#48 (Monster Swapper): </strong>This level was certainly among my "levels I was disappointed about not seeing in CCLP1" list. It's an even better fit for CCLP4, though, and it explores a design trope that we don't see much of: the "alternate universe," which could be seen in CCLP1 #111. It's rare to see a level that manages to feature both dodging and a bit of deduction work in a way that doesn't feel silly, but this pulls it off perfectly.

Favorite level: Monster Swapper

Least favorite level: Classroom Practice

Messages In This Thread
Cobalt Pack - Discussion - by Flareon350 - 26-Jul-2016, 10:57 PM
Cobalt Pack - Discussion - by Flareon350 - 09-Aug-2016, 9:18 PM
Cobalt Pack - Discussion - by jblewis - 19-Aug-2016, 6:22 PM
Cobalt Pack - Discussion - by chipster1059 - 22-Aug-2016, 7:41 PM
Cobalt Pack - Discussion - by jblewis - 22-Aug-2016, 8:44 PM
Cobalt Pack - Discussion - by quiznos00 - 22-Aug-2016, 8:50 PM
Cobalt Pack - Discussion - by Flareon350 - 22-Aug-2016, 9:01 PM
Cobalt Pack - Discussion - by chipster1059 - 23-Aug-2016, 11:31 AM
Cobalt Pack - Discussion - by Flareon350 - 23-Aug-2016, 12:36 PM