June 2016 Create Comp - CC2 Tutorials! (First ever CC2 create!)
Quote:And H: judging these competitions always always always comes down to the personal opinion of the person judging: different people will like different levels more than others.
For sure, and it's good, otherwise everything would be pretty boring. Sunglasses

Quote:Teleport Convolution is fine as a level, but it's very difficult and doesn't teach the player about yellow teleports, it tests the player on their knowledge of how to use them.
That's correct to a certain extend. Yellow teleports are a relatively tricky element in the sense that you can place them in a lot of different locations, which makes them complex. However there is not a lot of knowledge required. Yes, you can pick them up, but if you did not know this before playing this level, you will realize this pretty quickly by just stepping onto the outer one by chance. And if the player tries to place them onto a custom tile, he will realize that that's not possible. But I definitely disagree with some kind of test of knowledge, even if everyone should be familiar with the mechanics of teleports and partial posts in general (and Trans-Pachipic Partnership does require these for example as well, just additionally even the order of teleports,...), but there would be no point in introducing them to a player before he knows blue and red teleport mechanics anyway. Yellow teleports are an interesting and to a certain extend complex game element, which allows nice puzzles, but it's not a test of knowledge about a lot of cc2 mechanics at all.

Quote:Phantoms didn't have the clock thing pointed out because Josh already knew that: but I will say that it was a clever way to include/demonstrate that frozen time at 0 seconds = non-fatal.
Yes, and it allows therefore exploration Slight smileif you want to

Quote:Unraveling Mystery... the gist is there's swivel doors and chips on recessed walls and find the path that lets you get all of them without being stopped by the swivel doors. It doesn't really teach anything, except maybe how swivel doors work, and Swivel Motel from the standard set does so better. It's also a puzzle that, as far as I can tell, can't easy be worked out without trial and error (similar to Flip-Flop).
Absolutely no trial and error is required to solve the puzzle, you can see every detail without stepping onto a single push up wall. If you are not a computer and try thousands of possibilities a second, you should definitely think logically how to set things up, and not try to brute force something with trial and error. If you seriously would call this just solvable with trial and error, you would have to do this for every sokoban, or probably even for every level in cc...

But if you really want to write that much about game elements, you can enlighten me to which does Trans-Pachipic Partnership teach the player?

And I seriously don't know, is teeth mechanics, or is it the swivel/revolving doors tutorial you mean I failed with Unraveling Mystery?

Quote:So, You Can't Teach an Old Frog New Tricks is pretty simple as a whole because all you have to do is push some blocks to specific positions, split up the two fireballs, keep the tank alive, and wait on a trap for a minute to get to the end.
You are forgetting the part which makes this otherwise good level into something I can't like that much - the teeth puzzle at the very end where you can easily die, which should have imo been it's own level, and not a part at the end of a really long level.

But You Can't Teach an Old Frog New Tricks has a lot of overall complexity and is a long level, even if you know exactly what you are doing. The comparison lacks there a bit Wink

Quote:Avalanche is pretty simple because all you have to do is move the blocks between rooms
Avalanche is again a long level, repetitive and some parts tedious. Every single step I would indeed refer as simple, however again, it's a difficult level because it has overall complexity and is not linear. If it would just be linearly pushing more and more blocks from one room into the next, I would indeed say it's simple as a whole.

Quote:Distilling the steps of the solution ignores the details, and the details of where to place the yellow teleports for each step are definitely far from simple, even if figuring out what to do is.
Correct, each step of figuring out where to place the yellow teleports for the two required tasks (yes the level is really short) is the puzzle and the whole point of the level. There is hardly any overall complexity (at least if you don't try to not open the doors and just bridge down...).

Quote:The only inconsistency would be with Joshua Bone's entry and that...yeah. It seemed reasonably fair to mark it down ~44% of the overall points to make up for using 44% more space, and that was 2 spots.
There is no logic in this statement Smiley

But yes if you mention Joshua Bones violation of the rules, you have to do so for Tyler as well (no time limit). But how to deal with them is up to Josh anyhow.

Neither I nor you nor chipster made any tutorial levels in the strict sense, even everyone sent three levels, because it was not required to do so. (and on top Trans-Pachipic Partnership is the least tutorial like of your three, and choose that one)

And levels as Wrong of Way or Conveyor Reversal do include puzzles as well, so that's not it either, you can apply knowledge to a problem.

So you might think, the easier the better, but Where There's A Wall didn't win, it got the last place (but not having to think doesn't seem to make a level bad, as shown in Blocksmith or How to Itemdrop Like A champ).

The shorter the better doesn't work either as again with Where There's A Wall or Unraveling Mystery shows, and the same for size.

So there is no criteria for what levels are ranked how, so it's inconsistency I'm speaking of.

I have to admit, I would have no clue how to rank the lesson style tutorials where you don't have to think, and therefore are completely boring and pointless to play, compared to the other levels...

I think you get the point about this, but I'm not complaining about any rankings.

I don't like that the my levels which do focus on game elements as required, are made bad as strict tutorials, which was never the intention (but again, they are not alone in this regard).

And perhaps even more importantly, I can totally understand that Josh want's to keep the videos reasonably short, but he did not solve any levels for the first time in the videos (and if that should not be true, why play some the first time and some before,...), so why not solve all the levels before and show the solutions to all the levels?

If he solves e.g. Teleport Convolution or just shows the solution or whatever (and all the levels can easily be solved in way less than five minutes if you know what you are doing), and points out thoughts about the level and that it is too difficult to be considered for this competition, it would have been totally fine with me, and I probably wouldn't have written much about it, but instead in two of my levels he seems to run around a bit bored to kill time without me seeing any intention of him solving the levels in the video.

(or in the worst case scenario, if he can't be bothered to spend some minutes solving them, just leave the levels out, or show the solution in a separate video with some thought on them (here perhaps with some real first time comments, if he hasn't seen it before) if he doesn't want to spoil the solutions in the general video, but just running around stupidly that's for sure the worst decision...)

Messages In This Thread
June 2016 Create Comp - CC2 Tutorials! (First ever CC2 create!) - by _H_ - 13-Jul-2016, 3:39 AM