AndrewR1 feedback and discussion
Hi Andrew, nice to see you around again. Here's some feedback on your levels.

1 - Welcoming

I thought this was a fine level. My favorite part was using the block to stop the pink ball.

2 - Taking

I thought this might get a bit monotonous, but the structure of the rooms made it more interesting than I thought at first. Still, I might have preferred a little more variety.

3 - Jumping

The timing on this was just right. The tension was palpable.

4 - Going

I enjoyed this one too. I liked the length of the level and the concept of returning the way you came (though I've seen that before, it hasn't been overdone).

5 - Thinking

I don't like puzzles like this. Would have been slightly better without Chip being so close to the border but still not seeing the Teeth.

6 - Transporting

In Lynx at least, the balls collide and make this much harder than it should be. In MS, this is better, but still the waiting is a bit pre-determined and if I missed I cycle I felt I needed to get lucky not to die. Basically, the solution felt forced. I would rather see the ice slides shorter and maybe be of the same length, the time limit longer, maybe more safe spots.

7 - Forcing

I don't remember playing this one, so I'll call it average.

8 - Forcing II

This is one of those levels where I felt the designer stretched out the concept to fill the whole map. I don't want to walk around empty corridors for fun.

9 - Releasing

I like the concept but not the time limit. Otherwise there was enough space to do this reasonably.

10- Finding

I didn't like this one. Maybe too much walking around and collecting again?

11- Producing

The best parts in this level are the strong theme and the area where you manouver the block with the fireball in the same room. I hate the part with the tanks and ice.

12- Building

Left no great impression on me, but I don't want to replay it again due to the invisible walls.

13- Upping

Was this made just to use this silly name? Slight smile

14- Deciding

I like this type of pop-up wall mazes and this one adds something by using distance to make Chip guess what lies ahead. The layout is simple enough to not need too many attempts even if the first one fails. But is it too simple overall?

15- Riding

Don't like this or levels like this.

16- Circling

Too big. Maybe would have been interesting with the same number of corridors but using thin walls instead.

17- Circling II

This was ok, however, there was not enough time to take it carefully in Lynx. Also, reacting to the monsters felt harder in MS (but that's ok). It was a bit long too, having to go through all four quarters. It that's something you want, maybe take off a ring or two? I like the use of invisible walls in this level.

18- Mixing

An okay mix of things, but you run the risk of having one thing a player doesn't like that ruins the whole level. For me, this it the ff slide with fire.

19- Running

Don't like ice areas that are this large. And even after I was done with that, there was a lot of level left. Not a fan of this level.

20- Reducing

I love this! It's small and has a puzzle. I would argue that the time limit is not enough to figure out the puzzle part on the first try, making it really annoying to die to time just because I was thinking of the best approach. I like the amount of dodging and use of space.

21- Icing

I couldn't make myself play through this again. I won't judge you for liking ice levels more than me.

22- Reflecting

Why do I want to do the same room four times? What if I die in the third one? You want me to do it 7+ times? No thanks, I rather move on.

23- Reflecting II

The block pushing was not bad, but guessing like this is just stupid.

24- Escaping

Ok, so I'm supposed to count the toggle walls while avoiding the teeth monster, and then count the times the green button is pressed to match and dodge the Glider, all in just 50 seconds? I like the puzzle, but would much rather prefer if there was 500 seconds! Why do I want to race the clock when I am already racing the game elements? And if I mess up, I would rather try again, than restart the level. Solving the level as it is, I would feel more clever if I didn't think my solution was probably very much the same as anyone else's. I don't get this feeling if there is more leeway in the time and I am allowed to make mistakes. At the very least, you could have placed the level one slot earlier in the set to give me a hint on how far to count. In summary, I like the puzzle, but would like to see it executed a bit differently.

25- Puzzling

This would be much better if I could just see a bit more when solving the puzzles. As it is, I find myself guessing too often.

26- Tempting

I like this. I especially like that the level is not longer. Someone might have used this room as a quarter of a larger level, but I think this puzzle is best as a complete level by itself.

27- Timing

I don't like this. The challenge of the timing is not interesting enough to outway the monotony.

28- Timing II

This is better, but still way way too large.

29- Comparing

Ok, I like this concept of randomness influencing the experience; however, I didn't get what was going on in the corridors at first and it felt too random to explore what is inside the rooms. This could be fixed by giving me a place to hide along the corridors, like maybe gravel at some points. The level would be twice as fun!

30- Dividing

This is a fine level. A couple things to consider. Why not use dirt instead of chips in the Glider rooms, or at least a mix, so I don't need to clear the whole room? (The SW room is worse in this regard because it's simpler to direct the Gliders.) I like the puzzle with the vertical teleports, but would rather see this trick as part of the bold solution than as a required thing to solve the level. A similar thing applies to the SE room with horizontal teleports, where I would prefer there was some room for error and testing the mechanism. I did enjoy this though!

31- Bearing

This is another fine level. I would consider adding a hint that would tell the player how many times they need to go through the teeth room. The bombs look symmetric but it's nice that they play differently because the cloners aren't symmetric, however you could remove a few of the bombs for the same effect and less block pushing. It would be interesting to hear what you think of this level yourself? I like the connection with the next level, both in some arrangements and the name.

32- Bearing II

This first room has to be the hardest puzzle in your set. I remember giving up on this on a previous play through because it felt like it relied so much on collisions. Now I think the main problem is getting into a state that is not redeemable, so it would be great if there was a way to remove a stuck Glider in an easier way than just collisions. The other puzzles in the level are ok, but again I would wish for execution that didn't require so much waiting. Particularly the tank area loses nothing if there was just two tanks that need to be toggled by the paramecium.

33- Competing

This was a very good Time Trial level, and it works ok as a casual level as well.

34- Clearing

This was a fun mess. It put a smile on my face completing this.

35- Longing

I don't want to sit here for 24+ days solving this level. Then again, since it looks like it's theoretically solvable, I would like to sit here and solve it. Unfortunately, I play in TW and it won't allow for long solutions like this. Maybe if this was ten times shorter, and pretty likely if it was 100 times shorter. I guess getting me to think something like this was your point in making the level. It is a fine 'unsolvable last level' Slight smile

Your set is not terrible. I like some of the levels, and you clearly have great ideas in many of them. Some of your design choices feel old school and aren't as player friendly as many current levels are. I like that the set is not too large, so I haven't minded playing through it a few times. The difficulty varies and doesn't get too bad. I like that you have made it work in both Lynx and MS. The set has a few too many ice levels for my taste, but otherwise it has a nice mix of monsters and puzzles. I wouldn't mind recommending this set to someone, and I am interested in seeing what might come in AndrewR2!

That brings me to something that's been on my mind: mostly I would like to see new levels from you, or other interactions in the community. Do you still play CC? What are your favorite levels in CCLP1? Have you tried CC2? Hope to see you around more!

-Miika

Messages In This Thread
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 01-Jan-2016, 12:14 PM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by M11k4 - 29-Jan-2016, 6:18 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 29-Jan-2016, 9:49 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by jblewis - 30-Jan-2016, 12:26 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 30-Jan-2016, 9:26 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 31-Jan-2016, 9:49 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 01-Feb-2016, 11:20 AM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by M11k4 - 04-Feb-2016, 2:36 PM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 20-Oct-2017, 2:30 PM
AndrewR1 feedback and discussion - by andyrkki - 20-Oct-2017, 4:15 PM