Poll: What future for official CC sets would you find most ideal?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Make CCLP4 for CC1, then make CC2LP1 a different set for CC2.
66.67%
22 66.67%
Make CCLP4 and CC2LP1 basically the same set, without the use of CC2 elements in CC2LP1.
0%
0 0%
Make CCLP4 and CC2LP1 basically the same set, with the use of CC2 elements in CC2LP1.
9.09%
3 9.09%
Forget about CCLP4 and move on with CC2LP1 instead.
18.18%
6 18.18%
Other (elaborate in the thread)
6.06%
2 6.06%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Facing the Future: What's Next for Official Sets?
This is a pretty long and verbose thread so I haven't read through each post.

In short, I agree with most of what Bowman (and Eric) said.

Making levels conform to multiple rulesets can be an intimidating and potentially tortuous process. So if we want to encourage more casual designers to be able to contribute to CCxLPns and allow maximum freedom of creativity, then CC1 and CC2 level packs should proceed in parallel and be unrelated. CC2 level packs should go all out on the new CC2 elements. (The Lynx compatibility restrictions in CCLP3 and CCLP1 did help get rid of inane and insane MS tile combinations, but no similar benefit would be derived by trying to make the same level work in both CC1 and CC2.)

I voted for the first option as being the closest to my opinion, but I think there is no need to stop CC1LPs after CCLP4 nor necessarily have a specific time ordering between CCLP4 and CC2LP1. I agree that it is still too early for CC2LP1 (and BTW also still think that it's a little early for CCLP4). I think CC2 Create competitions (and other types of CC2 competitions) would better serve its purpose right now than an early CC2LP1.

With reference to the comment:

Quote:... from an "official support" perspective, CC2 is a game that's active and available on Steam, whereas Tile World and the MS / Lynx versions of CC1 don't quite hold that distinction ...

Tile World is freely available for download, still has people occasionally working on it, runs on pretty much any platform (including older ones), and doesn't require an Internet connection and a bulky Steam environment to play. I think Steam just isn't an appealing platform to casual gamers. There may be a large intersection between the currently active CCZone community and CC2 players, but I see that there are at least a few CC1 players - including me - who don't seem to have played CC2 yet.

Not making more CC1 packs because CC1 is less "active" is one argument.

Another one is to continue making more CC1 packs so that it remains active.

But I think trying to make packs that work in CC1 as well as CC2 will ruin the fun for both.

- Madhav.

Messages In This Thread
Facing the Future: What's Next for Official Sets? - by KeyboardWielder - 17-Oct-2015, 1:04 PM