Poll: What future for official CC sets would you find most ideal?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Make CCLP4 for CC1, then make CC2LP1 a different set for CC2.
66.67%
22 66.67%
Make CCLP4 and CC2LP1 basically the same set, without the use of CC2 elements in CC2LP1.
0%
0 0%
Make CCLP4 and CC2LP1 basically the same set, with the use of CC2 elements in CC2LP1.
9.09%
3 9.09%
Forget about CCLP4 and move on with CC2LP1 instead.
18.18%
6 18.18%
Other (elaborate in the thread)
6.06%
2 6.06%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Facing the Future: What's Next for Official Sets?
Chip's Challenge is the game that defined my childhood. I continue to enjoy it in my limited spare time, but have no plans to touch the second game (certainly not as long as it remains only available on Steam with no official community packs).

There remains growth potential (and thus scope for official level packs) for the original game. Windows is no longer the dominant casual gaming platform (consoles are more for hardcore gamers). That title now belongs to the device that shaped the last decade: the iPhone. Releasing Chip's Challenge on iPhone and Android would increase the playerbase. However, the mobile version would require its own official level pack (many levels in existing official packs would be virtually unplayable with touchscreen controls) and slightly altered rules. (Of course, versions for major consoles would also help attract new players and retain existing ones, but not as much as mobile versions.)

Among the existing official packs, I only consider CCLP1, CCLP3 and CCLP4 worth playing. The original 149 levels retain their nostalgic value but have been superseded by CCLP1. With too many mediocre levels and invalid tiles, CCLP2 is a warning that we should not rush with the first official community pack for CC2. To me, only a remake (worst levels replaced, no invalid tiles or major busts) would redeem CCLP2. I tried CCLXP2, which does not go far enough but shows that such a remake is possible.

Messages In This Thread
Facing the Future: What's Next for Official Sets? - by hkn - 16-Sep-2017, 5:44 AM