Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread
Quote:I do appreciate your feedback but I must say I am confused with it sometimes, H. Of the past twenty levels you've reviewed most of them weren't that positive, which I'm very surprised about.

Sorry, if that's your impression, it's not what I was aiming for.

The levels are on average very good Thumbs up

But as I wrote in my first review, it's a comparison among different levels in this set, so a 1 or 2 for design doesn't mean it's bad at all, it was just below average for me for your levels, and since your average in absolute terms is really high, I could probably make a more absolute scale from 1 to 10, and add more or less 5 for almost every level in the design point B)

Quote:42 - It's a small, simple level so it can't be that tedious. The real puzzle is getting the bonus, which based off your feedback I assume you didn't get.

Generally I'm not necessarily getting all the bonuses in each level, here however I did.

[Click to Show Content]

And well, sorry, I can't give this level that much more points, and let's be honest, if you compare it to Joshua Bone's SYNCHRONOUS MODE BLOCKING, which is just a masterpiece of hook level, I think the differences are obvious...

Quote:49 - Thanks again. The eyes must be needed, how else would you get the fire boots from the ghosts? They are necessary after all... But like level 45, there is more than enough time here so I won't make it higher.

[Click to Show Content]

Quote:Out of these ones specifically, the ones I was most proud of where 43, 44 and 47 and each of them didn't get that good feedback, from you at least.

43 got mainly lower points for the start. You are forced to run around to get the red key; the first time it's interesting, to see the level, of course I get the timing between bawling ball and ball wrong, and have to run around again. Still fun, but after destroying a ship with my cool bowling ball, and had to run a third time, it started to get slightly repetitive. And yes, sadly I have to admit, the ant killed me the first time (somehow I really misjudge how long it takes to release the bowling ball sometimes) as well, so, redo everything, which includes running around the level for 21 seconds... And together with giving me the feeling I missed something in the level, when I first came up to the top right section, because the bawling ball is hidden, I like puzzles, not trial and error, the score can't be that much higher.

44: Depending on the tile graphics you use, some parts might be more obvious, I changed in mine just the force floors to green in green, and some other minor things, which definitely helps a to avoid crazy flickering everywhere in some levels, compared to the standard graphics, and that's necessary, otherwise I would probably get crazy if there are somewhere too many force floors Raised eyebrow, but for sure, didn't help to identify the direction of the force floors if covered by chips in this level. I did not change anything for water or the blue custom floors, but with the standard graphics, the water is really hard to spot here, of cause, if you look for it, you will see it, but noticing it without knowing you have to watch out for a water tile is a different story. That at the start a key, a teleport and a 1k bonus is covered by canopies didn't help as well. I really don't like this unnecessary hiding of parts in a level. But the main point, as written, was for me the glider near the end - completely unexpected, while you happily travel on force floors, a ship comes out of nowhere, to kill you...

47: I'll give this one another chance on another day, but a fifty-fifty chance to die, half way in the level - probably more at the start - definitely doesn't feel good - especially if you choose the wrong one.

But to be honest, I already didn't understand why you try to hide the area control button at the start with a not allowed marker, since it is at the very start, it doesn't matter too much, but definitely not something I can approve of.

The basic idea of keeping and ice block from melting sounds cool, but we'll see B)

So my résumé on this levels for now, is they are good, but have certain issues, which at least for me make them less fun and worse than they could be. However, at least some of them, as you mentioned, can be easily fixed (e.g. change certain tile colors...) and if this makes them a better playing experience for everyone, it should be perfect.

Quote:I am and have been trying to improve my designs, especially with these later levels but I feel as if nothing of that is being accomplished based off your feedback. So any insight to this would be nice.

Generally I could of course just write, nice level, good level or so, it would be way less work for me, instead of making notes while playing, comparing them to other levels afterwards, opening them in the editor after completing them, to see if I missed something,... but the feedback would be pretty useless. When I instead point out, what I didn't like in a level, especially if not intentionally designed this way, it can be improved, or for future levels avoided - and if the feedback should not be many pages long, I can't necessarily mention everything I liked in a level. So, just because I point out something, doesn't mean that there is not a lot of really good design in a level Slight smile

Messages In This Thread
Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread - by geodave - 03-Jun-2015, 12:07 PM
Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread - by Michael - 06-Jun-2015, 10:12 AM
Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread - by _H_ - 29-Jun-2015, 5:06 AM
Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread - by _H_ - 28-Jul-2015, 11:29 AM
Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread - by _H_ - 28-Jul-2015, 8:29 PM
Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread - by _H_ - 28-Jul-2015, 9:05 PM
Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread - by random 8 - 10-Oct-2015, 10:47 PM
Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread - by mobius - 13-Dec-2015, 2:04 PM
Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread - by _H_ - 22-Feb-2016, 12:40 PM
Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread - by _H_ - 22-Feb-2016, 3:53 PM
Flareon1 feedback & discussion thread - by _H_ - 22-Feb-2016, 4:24 PM