2014 Wrapup and Looking Ahead to CCLP4
I was about to use the word "novelty" in my reply but thought I would look it up in the dictionary first. Interestingly, there are two seemingly contradictory definitions for it:-

1. Originality by virtue of being refreshingly novel / new and surprising

2. A small inexpensive mass-produced article

I think that if CCLPs are to remain the special novelties that they have been in the "refreshingly new and surprising" sense, then the gaps between them need to be long enough... Perhaps not as long as the gap between CCLP2 and 3, but definitely longer than that between CCLP3 and CCLP1. CCLP1 was more or less above this consideration because of its refreshing "retro" "back to basics" nature, but the same will not hold true for future CCLPs. From CCLP3 experience, I do understand the challenge that a large pool of submitted levels presents to both the staff and the voters, but then it wouldn't be nice for CCLPs to become "inexpensive mass-produced articles" either.

There has also been the somewhat disturbing (to me) trend in the last couple of years of designers creating levels almost entirely with the next CCLP in mind, thereby possibly curbing explorations into creative territory (good or bad, awesome or silly) because they might not appeal to the majority of potential voters, or avoiding random elements to keep optimizers happy, etc.

So I hope that CCLP4 is still some years away.

- Madhav.

Messages In This Thread
2014 Wrapup and Looking Ahead to CCLP4 - by M11k4 - 02-Jan-2015, 2:29 AM
2014 Wrapup and Looking Ahead to CCLP4 - by KeyboardWielder - 02-Jan-2015, 2:45 PM
2014 Wrapup and Looking Ahead to CCLP4 - by Syzygy - 04-Jan-2015, 12:52 AM
2014 Wrapup and Looking Ahead to CCLP4 - by PB_guy - 05-Jan-2015, 11:59 AM
2014 Wrapup and Looking Ahead to CCLP4 - by Syzygy - 05-Jan-2015, 12:21 PM
2014 Wrapup and Looking Ahead to CCLP4 - by M11k4 - 06-Jan-2015, 7:13 AM
2014 Wrapup and Looking Ahead to CCLP4 - by jblewis - 07-Jan-2015, 11:06 AM