CC2 Custom Set Review - Nanamin's Challenge 1.0
I played through the set when it came out, I had a lot of fun, and definitely there are a lot of good levels in it. It's a huge improvement over Mystic Challenge where a lot of levels where trial and error due to hidden information, especially through denial of vision. So, great work, and hope to see a lot more levels from you in the future.
My only complain is that you included a hand full of troll like levels in the set for no real reason and quite a few of levels seemed busted or felt odd, but that's probably something Joshua points out in his Let's Play, and I think most things could be fixed / improved quite easily.

Some thoughts on the levels pointed out at the start:

15 STRATEGIC DETONATION
Really nice puzzle, and one of the best levels in the set.

23 THE WRONG FOOT
I agree, a really nice maze, but seemed busted, you never have to drop your fire boots.

25 THE DUEL
Not one of my favorites in my notes, but that's probably just me.

26 GOLDILOCKS
The hint does not fit the level, you need all three blocks. (The hint would be correct if you would have used or gates, not and gates) The RR sign, the keys (except the red), sockets (except the one guarding the red key) and recessed walls don't fulfill a any purpose, except making the level way easier than probably intended. Easy straight forward level.

30 THE SECRET OF THE BLUE SCARAB
A nice level, variety yes, puzzle less, but I haven't to much in my notes about this one, except easy and fun.

33 THE ICE KINGDOM ADVANCES
An easy, short, fun level, I like it.

39 OBSTACLE MACHINE
Definitely one of my favorite levels in the set, everything works out really nicely, and one of the few levels where the solution wasn't too obvious.

42 EXPULSION CUBE
Really similar to 34, I like this one a little more as well, since you don't get an extra block for no reason. Not extremely easy, yet far away from being objectively difficult by any means.I definitely would like to see some more difficult levels.
Blocks starting at recessed walls seem unnecessary hidden information, either the puzzle should be designed a bit differently (by placing the block next to such a wall) or give the player a secret eye to eliminate the trial and error. To fix this problem in 34 and 42, I would suggest giving the player the eye.

48 COMPANION CUBES
I liked the level, yet part of the difficulty comes from the necessity to explore due to hidden information via denial of vision and an over complicated wiring and positioning, so the wrong reasons, since you can cook the level by doing so, otherwise this would be not that impactful. By using the shortest paths for the wiring and some repositioning of elements the level could be way better, as this would eliminate most of the hidden information, without affecting the real puzzle. So in the end, I disagree with Joshua a bit, even though it earned it's place under the top ten of this set, it is a good level, but it could be a great level with some more work, but and I'm definitely curious to see his thoughts in more detail in the LP.

50 CONTROLLED RELEASE
It's just a bit of timing, which is not my favorite part, otherwise it pretty simple level. It was somewhat fun, but nothing to special.
Are you sure you didn't mean 51?

But that leads to some additions I liked, which are not under the above:
51 PINPOINT
Easy yet really well designed.
41 COUNTDOWNER
Again, really good design wise, and you have to think ahead to not get trapped towards the end, so as well a nice puzzle.

Notes:
58 WATERFALLS

First I thought what do you mean my monster order in this level, but I tested a bit now, using the upper most four blocks really doesn't seem to work at all, the middle ones work almost always (there seems to be some rare timing event when you can get killed, but the probability seems low and the behavior a little inconsistent), and since I always used those four I didn't even notice this problem... I agree, this should not be a part of the puzzle. A helmet would help for both upper parts, but would render the lower section somewhat obsolete, since you would be able to solve it the same way, but might still be the best option.

Messages In This Thread
CC2 Custom Set Review - Nanamin's Challenge 1.0 - by H2O - 13-Mar-2017, 7:27 PM