March 2013 Create Levels and Voting (and Results)
Ok, voting time is now closed and the results will be announced soon. I received rankings of the levels from six members, half of whom also had made levels for the competition. While you wait for me to check the results, here is the order I ranked the levels myself, along with a short explanation for each level.

Bricks
This level is quite hard. There are many monsters to dodge and Chip needs to find the right paths to take to reach all the chips. After this, he has to find a block to move so the bomb guarding the exit can be blown up. I didn't yet get around to solving the level, but so I'm not sure if the bomb is disposed off with a block or maybe a paramecium, but in either case the time limit is very restrictive. I expect a level with a time limit of one minute to not actually have a bold time that is close to one minute, except if the route is very clear and the level is a type of race. Even without the bomb this level would have been a tight solve, so I have to rate this level the lowest of the bunch of submissions.

Flip-Side-Up
I must be in a mean mood, as my second lowest ranking for a level is another one of random 8's. This one also suffers from a lack of clarity and simplicity. Well, that is the point of the level, to be a bit confusing isn't it? I had the priviledge of seeing some earlier versions of this level, and those weren't quite as complex as this final submission. I do find the concept for the level very clever, and like the throw-back to CCLP2 #49, a level which would have fit the theme this month perfectly. It's been said about Just a Minute!! that it's possible to discern that there are two teleports, and thus two compartments, due to the sound of passing through the teleport which isn't heard if it was a single teleport. Flip-Side-Up tries to fool the player by actually having two teleports in the starting compartment, and it's up to the player to figure out how to block a teleport to get to the other compartment. If the puzzle had stopped here, and refined this mechanism, the level would have been a hit, but in its current form I find it to be a bit of a work in progress.

Level 1
This level is the only one of the submissions that can't be played in lynx. Other than that, one can't blame it for being overly complex. There is not much challenge in this level, not with figuring out the block pushing or with regards to the time limit. A little bit more effort could have made this a fun level to play, but as it is, at least it did not frustrate either.

The Beach
This is also a simiple level, but not too simple. I do like the story that the level has, which can be read in the ccx file. Maybe dodging the gliders can be a bit unpredictable, but this is a decent level and a set full of levels like this might be quite fun.

Bringing Up the Rear
I like the first part of this level more than the outer area. In the first part you blow up some bombs and get some items. Then you go outside and try to get the rest of the stuff you need, while dodging and interfering with gliders. There is also a bit of a puzzle involved with which items you need to take to be able to exit, which is a good puzzle that plays well with the time limit of just one minute. I would have rated this level higher if the gliders would have been easier to deal with, but as it is now, the time limit and the precise movements took me too many tries and did not leave me wanting to revisit the level.

Impedence
Is it a coincidence that random 8's simplest concept ranks the highest of his three submissions on my list? The puzzle is clever, and most won't solve it on the first try, or even maybe the fifth one. Nevertheless, the time limit is appropriate and plays a role in the solution. Even the mechanism used to create the effect is a clever design. If anything, I'm a bit surprised that the level is only 8th on my list, but maybe that tells of the quality of the levels yet to come.

In or Out
As the name advertizes there are two ways to solve this level. I first opted for the "In" but then went back for the "Out". Either way was fun and I never found myself at a loss for understanding the objective. If someone can't crack one approach, there is the other one to try. A fine filler level, but not quite one that would be remembered as a top notch one.

Tricks & Traps
The start has a nice mechanism, though it works a bit differently in lynx. Manipulating the teeth to press the buttons was also nice, particularly since at Chip was safe behind walls. The three other rooms reachable through the teleport weren't quite as clever as the start, but nothing too annoying there either. A nice little level with an appropriate time limit.

Ancient Glider Temple
This level feels like breaking into an ancient tomb and trying to get out unharmed after setting off some traps. There is a nice calm before the storm once Chip goes through the first teleport, and must guess through which way the gliders will arrive. Then the rest is just being careful not to do anything too stupid, or too slow. As a whole the level works remarkably well.

That Ticking Noise
This is another level with a strong theme and story. Often times levels like this don't do it for me, because there usually isn't much of a level to play as the designer has concentrated on what the objects in the level represent, instead of how the game play feels. This time despite that, the level was enjoyable to play, and the rooms were all interesting. If anything, the time limit could have been even tighter to emphasize the rush to get out of the house!

Protect Me as I Protect You
Of all the levels submitted, I perhaps liked this concept the most. It is a clever puzzle I have not encountered elsewhere. It takes a while to understand what is going on here, and I suspect those that didn't get it would rank this level much lower. Chip needs to bring a block to the top of a corridor guided by a teeth monster, and then come back down with the same block, but not allow any of the arriving pink balls to bounce off the block. There are a few flaws in the execution though. The teeth monster mush be disposed off at the top of the level, and this requires Chip to find a blue wall that is fake. I found this to distract from the actual task at hand, and would have preferred if the method to get rid of the teeth monster would have been simpler. That's a small gripe, but a larger one is that the level is busted. On the way up, Chip can quite easily use one of the columns with more than two open toggle doors to get onto the othe side of the block while still dodging the teeth. In the past, I might have punished a designer more harshly for creating something with a bust, but now I think it's nicer to forgive something like this and rather look at the potential of the concept. Perhaps the level will be updated to avoid this bust and all will be good. For now, I'm ranking it quite high for concept, but not quite at the top because of some small issues.

200m Free Style
Sometimes a level comes along that just wins you over. For me it was this swimming race between Chip and some gliders. From the rankings of other players I can see it didn't hit home with everyone, but for me it did. I love this level. The concept is cool, the execution flawless, the sounds great, and the feel is awesome. It's funny too! In fact, I have to go play it through once right now, just to check if I can still beat those arrogant gliders!

Shemozzle
What makes a good 60-second level? If you look at the list above, you'll find some levels that are short and by nature can be solved in a minute. You'll also spot a couple that really were decent level ideas crammed into a one minute time limit. However, the best ones are the ones that start with the low time limit in mind and expand the level from that to see what makes the time limit significant in an interesting way. This level is one of those. It's a race! It's got obstacles! It's pretty to look at! It's even busted, but you don't have time to realize that at first! The concept is clear, as the the only way to go is forward, and yet there are so many rooms! And all the monsters are represented, as well as many types of small puzzles. The rooms are symmetric, not needing a lot of time to understand what needs to get done. The time limit is just right and the bold route is interesting to find. A thumbs up from me in every regard!

Remember, these aren't the final results, but only my rankings. I'll post the results soon!

-Miika

Messages In This Thread
March 2013 Create Levels and Voting (and Results) - by M11k4 - 29-May-2013, 6:56 AM