Poll: Should a level be solvable on the first attempt if the player doesn't make a mistake?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Never. What is this, kindergarden?
3.57%
1 3.57%
Possibly no. It doesn't matter enough to affect a design.
3.57%
1 3.57%
Who cares? Just as long as the level is solvable.
17.86%
5 17.86%
Preferrably yes, but depeding on the concept sometimes no.
71.43%
20 71.43%
Always, to maximize the fun and elegance.
3.57%
1 3.57%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should a level be solvable on the first attempt?
I answered preferrably yes, because I think it is a level design concept that needs to be explored a bit more for CCLP1; where if you make a mistake it is reversible and "player-friendly". Obviously this wouldn't apply to all concepts and designs, especially more so in later levels, but like in CC1 the routine restart will still certainly be inevitable. I also like how restarting is the main point of figuring out a strategy to get through on some levels, such as Jumping Swarm or Cellblocked.

I am totally with ajmiam on a lot of that stuff, I think the limited sight distance is often something to keep in mind when making player-friendly levels (and something I paid a lot of attention to in my levels). It is kind of annoying when you push a block forward to get it out of the way to see farther down a room, only to discover when it is too late that you pushed it too far (not knowing what the whole puzzle or challenge was).

Guesswork is fine with me unless it is in such a position that it would cause one, who may feel successful for getting so far into a level, to have to start over again at that point, which could easily ruin the moment. I am personally one of those people, although more recently it doesn't bother me as much on shorter or medium-sized levels. I would peek in the editor if it were especially annoying, for example, an extremely low chance of picking the correct continuation or getting lucky and passing through, but I am sure there will be no CCLP1 levels like that.

Thanks Tyler/Michael for referring me to this thread, I almost forgot there was still some good discussions being had here!

Messages In This Thread
Should a level be solvable on the first attempt? - by BigOto2 - 31-Dec-2012, 9:51 PM