CCLP5: Pre-Voting Culling & Level Nominations!
(23-May-2022, 5:20 AM)Flareon350 Wrote:
(23-May-2022, 2:56 AM)Xaser Wrote: I thought Block Cipher and Panic! were OK -- not sure how those got culled but Termites and Skeleton Key remained.

Side note: xaser-cclp5-sub-v1.dat is an outdated version of my submission set -- latest is xaser-cclp5-sub-v3.dat (I submitted a couple of updates before the deadline with minor fixes & TWS solutions) -- did y'all make sure to play the latest versions?

The submitted set within the ZIP folder contains v3 of your submission, so yes that was the version that was used. That is purely a listing error from our spreadsheet and nothing more. Fixed that within the pastebin.

As for those levels, at least for me, Block Cipher felt too much like a guessing game and kind of ruined the fun of playing it. If the locks were meant to help with that, it didn't really work for me. Panic! was simply just doing the same thing a bunch of times, which tends to lead into dull gameplay.

Thanks for the fix! Just makin' sure -- there were a ton of last-minute stuff so I was worried it may have been lost in the scramble.

re: Block Cipher, the locks are indeed the key (heh) to the solution -- it's not random, it just takes a bit of noodling to figure out how to match 'em up. I dunno if the solution is too obscure or if the community is "meh" about this sort of puzzle, but I was hoping to have the votes be the judge of that.

The level could benefit from a hint or a better level title that nudges the player in the right direction, maybe? I'd originally named it "Decoder Ring", which is maybe somewhat closer to what I was going for here, but if anyone who's figured it out has any suggestions, that'd help a ton -- I'm rubbish at naming these sorts of things. :P

re: Panic!, time pressure is the challenge -- there's not enough time to push each block into a bomb before the next one spawns in, so you gotta pack 'em in the main area (and not get any blocks "stuck") before the chute gets backed up. It's probably a trivial challenge to anyone who's done a ton of optimizing (or anyone playing with SuCC, heh :P ), but it's real easy to mess up for us mere mortals. :P

If this one's no good as-is, I wonder if the same concept would work with a smaller area, a faster timer, or some existing obstacles in the space so it's less symmetrical? I had a lot of fun testing this one, but I'm also a much less skilled player than most of y'all so it's hard to judge the "fun-ness" here.

At any rate, I figured these two had enough going for 'em that it was worth tossing 'em in the voting pool to see how they'd do -- I'm not attached to any of the other culls.

I should probably give some other levels a play so I'm not just ego-talking :P -- thanks (again) for hearing me out on this.

Messages In This Thread
RE: CCLP5: Pre-Voting Culling & Level Nominations! - by Xaser - 25-May-2022, 8:59 PM