October 2017 Create Competition - Piecing it Together
Ready to make some levels? This time let's try a different take on building from a palette.

Your task, should you accept it, is to create a new level using pieces and concepts from previous create competition entries from 2008 to 2011. This is a total of 72 levels to work from plus a few non-trivial 'filler' levels that separate each competition in the collection sets. The idea is that you build from pieces conceived by someone else (or your former self) to create a unique challenge that is still a tribute to the source material. You can either try to use the pieces without modification (as I have done in the Time Trial Mixes) or just borrow a concept to create your own new puzzle with the same general feel.

The easiest place to find the levels that are your starting point is in CCZcreate2008-2011.dat
and CCZcreate2012.dat
, which you can get here:

http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/file/305-%7B?%7D/

It would be nice if you took ideas from at least three levels so that it doesn't just become a different version of a single level. Don't feel obligated to fill the whole map and make everything cramped. (I'd be curious to see even some smaller levels that still stick to this requirement). If you do make a longer level, please don't make it very difficult. You can be creative with the structure of the level and give it a fun name. There are some crazy levels in the mix to work from and I'd also gladly hear what your reaction to them is. Can you make it work? I'm sure there are some issues with this idea that I'm not thinking of right now, so be sure to ask below and I'll answer anything that is worries you.

Email and attach your submissions to valeosote at hotmail dot com. I will strive to reply with a confirmation that I have received your entry. I prefer if you use your username and this competition in the subject. Keep it short and simple, something like: "October Create - ChipHome5". If you list the levels you used as inspiration, that would help me when judging.

Enjoy!

-Miika

Additional notes:

-submissions are open through November 12th
where you live.

-The level(s) must be solvable, but do(es) not need to work in both MS and Lynx.

-You may submit more than one entry, but please keep the levels distinct from each other. Your best two entries is recommended.
-Points may be deducted for late entries, but will be accepted until I judge the levels.

-Entrants receive the normal prizes: the "You're Winner!"-award, Chip Cup points, and "Tool Box"-award for first time entrants.
-Please ask about other unclear situations.
Results Time!

We had three entrants this month, including my own creation. The winner was a clear one, where the level in question was made up of four separate rooms each with its own clever puzzle. Congratulations to BlazingApollo! Second place goes to Ihavenoname for going with five rooms but with contents that weren't as exciting. I claim third place by default with a level that tried to bring together some of my favorite areas of various levels that fail to come together and make something all that special.

Maybe the CC Zone awards are gone (at least for a bit) so instead I'll make a special award for just this competition. I don't mean for the duration or special occasion of this competition, no, I mean that the competition itself is getting the award. What's the award? It's called 'The Award for the Laziest Names of the Levels Submitted in a Competition'! Tongue (Though I have to admit that after unimpressive first impression of the level names, they have grown on me and I admit now that at least they are somewhat memorable.)

I'll close off with two apologies. First, sorry for not catching the typo in the announcement post. The levels available for use as inspirations were meant to go through 2012, not stop at 2011. Secondly, apologies for not now posting the submissions for you to try. The year is slowly coming to an end and I plan on releasing the yearly collection of submissions soon, so you'll be able to play the levels from that set instead of cluttering your level set libraries with a tiny set of just three levels.

-Miika

The names of the submissions were One Block Super Sokoban
, History Lesson
, and Creative Linking
. Here's a preview of the maps:
[Image: ljgr1cempk91h4izg.jpg]