CCUDM
My current CC project is finally ready for publication (download it here)!

This is a programming specification for a "universal" Chip's Challenge data model -- one that can represent levels from any of several major versions of CC, including both CC1 and CC2. The idea is that software based on this model (e.g. an editor) will be able to import levels (and script info) from any source, and export them to any destination. In other words, one single program could handle nearly all versions and file formats pertaining to CC!

What I would like at this point is to have the document reviewed by other CC fans, especially programmers, to tell me if anything's unclear or if I missed anything. I especially need programmers' perspectives to let me know if this will work as a software specification (as I don't currently have much experience writing one). But I would also appreciate if anyone, programmer or not, could look at it and double-check it regarding describing the game accurately.

One important note: this document's purpose is only to describe the game's data. The section on the game's elements is left intentionally incomplete; its purpose is simply to list all of the element types that are expected for use in defining game entities. A complete specification of the CC element set would be a topic for a whole other document (or set of documents!).

Finally, keep an eye out for an announcement regarding another project which this one's completion makes possible.... Wink
Took a brief look at this. Presumably the use of this is to create an open source library, which has the structures necessary to hold all the information, as well as support functions for reading and writing the structures to various file formats. And then anyone who wants to make an editor or other tool can use the library for this task.

It's not really a "software specification" as such, though it looks like a thorough description of what information the data structures would need to store.
Quote:Took a brief look at this. Presumably the use of this is to create an open source library, which has the structures necessary to hold all the information, as well as support functions for reading and writing the structures to various file formats. And then anyone who wants to make an editor or other tool can use the library for this task.
Its purpose is simply to create a standard data model, although it could be implemented as you describe.

Quote:It's not really a "software specification" as such, though it looks like a thorough description of what information the data structures would need to store.
Well, the latter is what I meant...but "software specification" as I understand it is a generic enough term to apply. Anyway, does it work as a data model specification? Slight smile
Quote:Well, the latter is what I meant...but "software specification" as I understand it is a generic enough term to apply. Anyway, does it work as a data model specification? Slight smile

It looks like it, though I haven't checked it in detail. Any mistakes would probably be corrected straightforwardly.