February 2015 Create Competition - Walls of CCLP2
I'm starting to play the levels already so I can get the results out as soon as possible next week. You can still send in submissions or updates to your levels I'll try to be as fair as possible even though I've played some already. From what I've seen so far, all I can say is that I'm going to have a hard time deciding on how exactly to rank the levels, and it will be quite subjective. I'm also contacting a few people about some of the details of their levels to make sure the levels aren't rated low for something I don't understand, so everyone else can also take this as a reminder that you can still revisit your own creation and review it. Slight smile

Stay tuned for the results and a new competition next week!
Just sent in my submission based on CCLP2 #20.

- Madhav.
I sent in mine. It's based on level 89, The Ghetto Defender.
My entry is based on level 116 - Turn Turn Turn.

It was a simple layout and I didn't add much to make the level, but it seemed to work well.

The new title I gave it is Flight Path.
Hi guys.

I usually like to post the levels, the results, and some reasoning for my ranking all at the same time. This time however, I have had a pretty busy month and there were more submissions than ever before. I also received continual requests to see the levels. As a result, I have decided to release them and the ranking, but you will have to wait for me to explain some of my reasoning. I'll just say that it wasn't the easiest task I've had to rank these, but I didn't want to cop out either by clumping more levels into ties than I needed. Here's what I ended up with:

1. Eric119________ The Toggle Station

2. random 8_______ Tracing Constellations

3. lookatthis_____ Feeble Existence

4. chipster1059___ A Moment of Tooth

5. Flareon350_____ Asphalt Line

6. Ihavenoname248_ Treasure Quest

7. J.B. Lewis_____ Chilled to the Bone

7. KeyboardWielder Inside the Box

7. Syzygy_________
Flightpath

7. rockdet________
Presentiment

11.Minus3k2_______
Thinkbox

11.Hornlitz_______
Movin' Out

11.RB3ProKeys_____
Simple Keys

11.geodave________
UglyBirds

11.Cyberdog_______ Aces High

11.James__________ Guaranteed to be the dumbest level in this competition

Congratulations to the winner, Eric!

With sixteen participants and 41 submitted levels, this has been the largest create competition to date. To me that fact alone is very cool! I picked my favorite level from each designer and then ranked those against each other. The rest of the levels are released in the order of the levels they were based on in CCLP2. Oh yeah, you can get all the levels here. I would love to hear your thoughts on the levels and why you think my ranking is totally off. My ranking is pretty subjective and I hope to have the time to explain some of it before the month is out. There were many stellar entries that could easily be ranked higher, so if you are a designer that is feeling this for their own level, I suggest you look at the next few levels on the list and maybe you'll be wondering why they in turn were not ranked higher than your level to too. (Does that make sense?) Anyway, I hope you try out the levels submitted by others and then join in again this month for the current competition!

-Miika
My levels have their own section in the level package, and I didn't come in solo last place! Chip Win

I wanted to send those levels in for the Ice Block competition a while back, but I stupidly missed the deadline. I still wanted to share the concept, so I figured this competition would be the next best thing.

Congrats Eric! Well done to everyone else who participated; there were some really good levels created. Special shoutout to RB3ProKeys for the amount of effort that was no doubt put in creating all those entries. Thumbs up
Thank you! Slight smile
Queen
Isn't it about time I wrote some thoughts on these levels? I don't have the energy to write about all of them, so I will pick and choose a few that I have something more to say than 'enjoyed this' or 'would have done things differently' Slight smile

Toggle Station
- Eric119

I picked this as the winner as there was nothing I didn't like in it, and it used all the rooms very nicely. I also liked the choice of which level to use for some reason, and it still retained a little bit of the same feel with the monster dodging in the middle area.

Tracing Constellation
- random 8

I liked this level because of many tiny details but mainly because of the alternate routes Chip could take. My main complaints with it were that the different solutions didn't quite balance out in difficulty, and I thought the uppermost area is almost always avoidable. Another small thing I liked was all the different ways you avoided using new walls, but the sockets made that room feel a bit cluttered (I guess I wasn't sure if they were meant to be opened later). I love the monster paths and tricks throughout the level.

Feeble Existence
- lookatthis

When this competition started I wasn't sure how different I would like the levels to be from the one the walls are taken from. Once there were so many submissions, small things like the mirroring of some of the themes of the original level here really felt nice.

The Moment of Tooth
- chipster1059

I love seeing a puzzle that uses invalid tiles in a clever way. Not knowing what tiles are hidden does still create a small problem,

Asphalt Line
- Flareon350

A solid design that felt exciting to play for the first time.

Treasure Quest
- Ihavenoname248

A fun little level. I enjoyed it more than your other ones just because it was simpler. I don't like invisible or appearing walls in general, but here you used them sparingly enough and in the right places that they were totally the right call.

Chilled to the Bone
- J.B. Lewis

I watched the video of you making this level before actually playing it, and I was afraid it would feel too much like some levels I had already experienced. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find it had its own feel mostly due to the use of ice. I think the extra blue keys annoyed me a bit in a level where I was already lost.

Inside the Box
- Keyboardwielder

Like I said, I loved seeing a puzzle that used invalid tiles in this way. Not once but twice for a fraction of a second I thought that you must have sent me the wrong version of the level as this must be unsolvable. Please make more levels! (I wonder why I didn't rank this one any higher?)

Flight Path
- Syzygy

I love the simplicity of this level! It was very fun to play. Maybe if you made it from scratch I would recommend making the outside area a bit smaller than the whole level.

Presentiment
- rockdet

This level is the main one I really wanted to give feedback on, if only because others haven't seen it yet, but also because I'm sure Rock is wondering how it is so low in the rankings. One reason is purely the high quality of the other entries, but also the difficulty and my experience with the level. I very much appreciate that you created a puzzle in the tight constraints of this wall configuration, but I had to play through the level too many times before solving it for it to remain a great experience. Maybe adding the bug was a bit too much, as moving the block in that area felt really risky, and I was afraid it would go on the force floor slide. I could have done with one or two fewer water tiles to fill in with blocks. You also sent in a version that was not solvable until two things were changed, so while I try to not allow this sort of thing to affect the ranking if it is an easy mistake, it did have an effect on my experience and I knew you had only played the level through in your head. Your use of space is elegant, I liked the visual liberties you took with using the walls and blue walls all as clone machines, and I enjoyed how it felt so different from the original even if Chip and the Exit were in the same places. In the end, by the time you release the level, I will give it a big thumbs up and a warm recommendation, and then wait for others to disagree on this assessment here Slight smile

Thinkbox
- Minus3K2

This is perhaps the best level of yours that I have seen. I like how you can drown the teeth but you have to look for the way to do this while he chases you. The item swapper adds to the level in a nice way (compared to just having chips which you are supposed to get with the teeth chasing you, and the overall difficulty of the level leans nicely on the easier side.

Movin' Out
- Hornlitz

Looking in the editor, I thought I would love this level. I still appreciate the symmetry in the name and puzzle to a previous entry of yours. I also like how this really is a simple wall layout but I hadn't realized all aspects of it from the original, because that one feels much more like just a square than this one does. Overall, I ranked it this low because it is almost too simple to play and solve, when I was hoping to really need to think about things. Maybe an update at some point, perhaps with pop-ups under the blocks? (That's my go to solution to fix a level, not sure what it would do here...)

Simple Key
- RB3ProKeys

I enjoyed many of your submissions, so thank you once again for them all. I picked this one as my favorite because it did not fall into the trap of being too complex. Several of your others did not feel as refined, and the block pushing in some of them was very long, as well as guessing the trap connections. This level was quite fun in both rule sets.

UglyBirds
- geodave

I liked the concept here but overall I felt it was missing something. I don't love blue walls and some of the block pushing was a bit clunky (which was probably due to the constraint of the wall layout). I think I ranked it this low because I saw some potential in the level but now I don't remember what I might have been thinking.

Aces High
- Cyberdog

This level had a lot of walking in long empty corridors and you needed to know which buttons were supposed to be pressed when. The teleport stuff also threw me off, as I didn't first understand what was going on or what was supposed to happen, as I couldn't see it well enough. Picking up those chips from the pink balls is not easy for everyone. My favorite part was the glider room with the two appearing walls, as this mirrored the original level nicely and still felt very different.

I guess I ended up saying something about a level for each participant, so that was more than I was really planning on getting to. Hopefully you enjoyed some of these thoughts, and maybe you even are inspired to play some of the levels you might have missed earlier. Have a good week!

-Miika