For those who have the Amsterdam Bold...
Hi,

I have been looking into the Amsterdam bold recently. Ever since pieguy got 397 it has baffled me, and i have a question for anyone who's acheived it. My question is: Is the 397 route a variation on the 395 route, or is it a whole new route entirely?

I know that the 397 route is being kept secret, so if nobody wants to say anything i understand. I figured it would be at least worth asking.

-Camden
Quote:My question is: Is the 397 route a variation on the 395 route, or is it a whole new route entirely?

What would qualify as a "variation on the 395 route", exactly? Tongue

If you want a subtle idea about where to start looking for the 397, you could try reading Richard Field's notes on the level.
I finally took a look at this and wouldn't call the improved route a slight variation on the old one, because it's more than just counting the right order to pick the chips up along the same paths. Took me some time to get the boosting right though, but it was worth the three seconds (earlier I had 394).
Quote:What would qualify as a "variation on the 395 route", exactly? Tongue

If you want a subtle idea about where to start looking for the 397, you could try reading Richard Field's notes on the level.

Ok this should help. Thank you very much! Smiley

Quote:I finally took a look at this and wouldn't call the improved route a slight variation on the old one, because it's more than just counting the right order to pick the chips up along the same paths. Took me some time to get the boosting right though, but it was worth the three seconds (earlier I had 394).

Same here. I've played the route over and over and can only get 394. grrrrr
Quote:Same here. I've played the route over and over and can only get 394. grrrrr

Last I played the level was before CCLP3 came out, so my boosting has slightly improved since then :-) Yay! I still have trouble with boosting, but it's more with the type of boosting that has more ice than floor, like in ICE DEATH (there is some of that here too, of course)- If it's just some ice every now and then, I usually can maximize the boosts as long as I know where I'm going.

I also noticed now that the annotation on Youtube for the 395 route acknowledges that a block can be pushed out of a room to reach some other area, but dismisses it since all those chips are already taken. It just makes me think AB was quite close to hitting on something way back when he wrote that :-)

And one more thing that this brings to my attention. I don't like the term "spring slide". To me it's not really descriptive, and it shares a word with the term "spring step" which doesn't seem related. Though now that I think about it, both effects have Chip arrive on a tile half-way between normal moves, so there is some connection. So a "spring" is essentially when you take less time than expected on a tile after arriving there a bit late, and this can happen after a voluntary wait or a slide of odd length.

Anyway, I would still rather call it something like "superboosting" when you both spring slide and boost :-)
Icedeath drives me mad, i don't see how anyone could get bold on it!

And I looked into Richard Field's description. I had a hunch it might have something to do with pushing blocks through. I've started trying stuff out and still haven't come up with anything. I figured out that you can push the block at (4,7) up into room 1 but i didn't see how that would save any time. I'll have to do some more work...