Why are fairy tales so **** depressing?
You have the king who slays his pet bird, the one who was trying to warn him not to drink from the poisoned spring.

One emperor ignores his favourite songbird in favour of a mechanical replica; it's only when he's on his deathbed that he makes amends.

No one buys anything from the little match girl, and consequentially, she freezes to death.

The velveteen rabbit gets thrown out with the trash, to be burned.

The tin soldier is thrown into a fire, and as he melts, he watches his woman catch on fire.

Is it any wonder why people are so messed up?!?!?!
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Is it bad that I only know one out of those five references, and even that one I only know due to it being mentioned in an episode of Friends? Confused
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
What kind of books did you read as a child?!?!?!?!

It might not be so bad that you aren't familiar with these stories, but as far as the Friends part goes? This is all I have to say about that:

Unamused
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:What kind of books did you read as a child?!?!?!?!

I think I must have jumped from Dr. Suess to chapter books and skipped the fairy tale stage... Tongue

Quote:It might not be so bad that you aren't familiar with these stories, but as far as the Friends part goes? This is all I have to say about that:

Unamused

Well I don't watch it too much anymore - although that might be because we only just recently got a decent cable package again... Smiley
Mike L

My level sets:
MikeL2 - 200 levels, updated 1/22/2017
MikeL2-fix - Lynx compatible version of MikeL2
MikeL3 - 86 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - a best-of set with levels from MikeL2, MikeL4 or my now-hidden rejects set
MikeL4 - 27 levels, updated 1/22/2017 - home of any new post-2009 levels I make
MikeLrejects - 351 levels, updated 5/16/2013 - all my older/experimental/not as good levels
I never did get into Dr. Seuss all that much (except for Green Eggs & Ham). I really dug the fairy tales from the start. The macabre's always fascinated me...

What would you say if I told you that I don't own a TV and have absolutely no interest in procuring one?
You're not alone Mike, I know one as well. And even that one I don't know very well.

Dr. Suess FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
The Cat In The Hat teaches children that it's OK to let strangers into the house. Green Eggs & Ham offers the moral that you should keep an open mind and try things (such as green eggs, which may or may not be moldy, as well as alcohol, cocaine, and jumping from bridges).

(I thought this was going to be a wittier deconstruction of political correctness, but I failed. I offer it regardless, in the hopes that someone here can improve on it.)
Y'all should watch Once Upon a Time -- it's not as bad as you think it is.

Also, the "Living Books" version of Green Eggs & Ham has distinctly "adult" overtones -- not sure why.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
How are the overtones "adult"? In what sense?
In the sense that I cringed internally watching it with my three-year-old. However, it was subtle and possibly unintentional, and I'm sure it went over her head.

Dr. Seuss was sort of a weird dude anyway -- he made some Lady Godiva book too.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan