Ice block patch for TW2
Why has this not been done? It would be epic, especially if it worked in Lynx too (but I doubt I'm that lucky).
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
I actually made one some time ago when I first came across TW2... I'm not the greatest at C(++), so I mostly just modified the patch until it stopped complaining, but it seems to work.

Recently, since I couldn't find a public repository of code for TW2, I threw https://github.com/Qalthos/Tile-World up which has both a modified 64bit patch and the ice block patch. I can't claim that I know what the changes did, but it all seems to work more or less properly for me.

I don't wish to claim any of this is my work, I just wanted one place I could get a known working version of TW2, patched to my liking.
I'll check it out and let you know how well it works. Is it possible we can get this to a "just drop this into your folder / run this EXE" form so that it's convenient? I know we have many people here who are not technically minded.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
I converted your git commit for the ice block into a diff and patched my own build, but it doesn't seem to work. What configurations did you test? I tried it against pi^2.dat. The ice blocks don't appear.
I hadn't tried pi^2.dat before, but I loaded it up and it works fine for me. Are you sure you've got a tileset with a graphic for the iceblock? I actually ran in to that very problem as I was testing it to make sure...

It may also depend on the 64-bit patch in some weird way. I haven't looked closely at either of these since I wrote them a long time ago. I already have patch files (somewhere) I could commit to the repo that do the same thing... but I could very well have done something wrong somewhere.

Edit: as for an EXE, this is all only tested on Linux for the moment I'm afraid. I don't have much experience with Windows and while I could probably come up with a patched EXE, I wouldn't really be able to test or verify it.
I had not patched the tileset, that must be the issue. I had also had the issue of Lynx movement not working properly, I assume that this was a side-effect of the patch. I took the commit for the ice block patch and created a diff from that, which applied cleanly on my patched TW2 build.

Creating a drop-in replacement for Madhav's tworld2.exe is, I would assume, annoying because in order to guarantee that you don't have incompatibilities you have to build it against the same versions of Qt, SDL and MinGW that Madhav's build packages. The development version of Qt 4 is massive (400 MB if I remember) and they only have certain versions on their website. If you need a version they don't have a build for you have to make it yourself, from sources, which is a humongous pain. I set up this stuff before, to test my 64-bit patch on Windows (I don't run Windows normally), but I don't know what versions of libraries that Madhav used, nor how to figure out.
Can I just say that I fail when trying to imagine myself doing the sort of bithead work you are doing here?

I'm more of an interpreted languages guy myself. If I do indeed make an editor or an emulator (which is mostly talk at this point) it will be in VB or JS or something like that. Which means it will not be fast or efficient, but with the speed of modern processors -- does it really matter? I doubt you could play an emulator over the internet, but you can certainly download it and play it in a browser, which may be the theoretical path I would take.

Also, in this never-never land of me actually building something, it would be extensible, so you could add whatever tiles and monsters you wanted, within reason. For example, adding a north-west thin wall tile would be easy enough, or something like a sand tile, but adding a "random hyperspace" function would probably not be possible. [Except that now that I've thought of it, I'd probably include it.]
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan