Building a super-hard non-insane level.
I don't usually build extremely hard levels.

This time it's different. I am trying to build a level with the complexity of YCTaOFNT but a good bit harder.

The goal is to avoid randomness. Except in the walker room, god help your soul there.

In a nutshell, if it can't make pieguy rage, it's not hard enough.

Any tips?

Also, yes, it has a teeth guiding section. Two, actually, but one is as simple as "stand here and the teeth does the work for you".
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
sounds good. Cant wait to try it Wink
I think a super hard level should have some difficult overall puzzle that incorporates several elements from various areas on the map. So it's not just about skillfully not dying in ten different rooms, or knowing what to do as soon as you open the level in an editor. So I suggest some complicated monster interaction in some area that there are no monsters in to begin with. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a difficult level without any blocks, so get creative with how those can be used and reused in several areas. One last tip: release it within a year of starting to work on it, so the rest of us don't have to wait too long for it :-)
i should do one Tongue
Don't have too much guesswork, but find a way of figuring out something may be hidden under a block, but Blobs and Walkers are fine, as long as they are used appropriatly. Try to make the level long, but with also lots of things to do in it at the same time. Also, making the level possible on a first try would also give you bonus points, plus giving the player loads of time when they are casually playing it.
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Quote:I am trying to build a level with the complexity of YCTaOFNT but a good bit harder.
Best wishes. Teeth

Quote:Any tips?
  • Beware of busts. Those are what will keep you tied in knots for long after you've placed all your excellent ideas on the board. Good puzzles that involve the kind of stuff mentioned in the preceding posts generally require leaving open a lot of possibilities, some which you might not have intended.

• Don't forget to keep it fun. Slight smile

- Madhav.
At this point I'm just throwing level concepts at the wall and seeing what sticks. I made one level that was an upper-4 maybe a low 5 star difficulty, but clearly I have work to do.

Also, more people need to use the chat.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!