The ethics of lost flash drives
Hypothetical* situation: You find a flash drive in the library. Being a kind-hearted soul, you locate the contact information for the owner (based on files on the flash drive) and drop the person a line. They thank you profusely and set up a tentative rendezvous date at which you can return their property to them. When the planned-on date arrives, they stand you up, and they do not respond to follow-up attempts at contacting them.

At what point does it become appropriate to wipe the data on the flash drive and call it your own? I'm thinking the end of the semester, since this is a university setting, but I'm interested in your thoughts on this matter.

*Not really
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Geez... Is it that hard to send him all the files via e-mail or put them on MediaFire with a password so others can't get it? That's what I would do, then send him the flash drive itself via snail mail if the meeting fails.
If that was me, I'd probably forget to back it up and lose it when I need it the most. It's happened to me twice so far. Slight frown
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Quote:Geez... Is it that hard to send him all the files via e-mail or put them on MediaFire with a password so others can't get it? That's what I would do, then send him the flash drive itself via snail mail if the meeting fails.

Well, the point is that this guy doesn't seem all that interested in retrieving the data. Recent messages have gone unanswered. I suppose alternatives are available, but honestly, if it were me who'd lost the flash drive, I'd offer to drive out to the guy's house myself to retrieve it. I'd even offer a minor reward.

Quote:If that was me, I'd probably forget to back it up and lose it when I need it the most. It's happened to me twice so far. Slight frown

This is one of the reasons why I'm hesitant to do anything with it save for keeping it in my backpack in case I get an e-mail from him during the school day.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.