Karoshi.ccl
In this offbeat level set inspired by the game Karoshi by Jesse Venbrux, the challenge isn't figuring out how to get Chip to the exit. . . but figuring out how to get a death message. I decided that it was too offbeat to upload to the Yahoo group, where I'm trying to keep my CCLP1 candidates all neat and tidy, but you guys can download it (theoretically) here. The 19 levels are (unless I've made a terrible mistake) MS- and Lynx-compatible. [Edit: Oh, they should also be Pedantic-compatible, too. At the very least, the red and brown buttons are mapped pedantically; if I'm missing something else, yell at me!]

Have fun! Slight smile
This is an awesome concept, I have a few of these style levels in my upcoming set. Busy at the moment but looking forward to playing them Slight smile

Might do a "Let's Die" series. That sounds too awesome to not record.
Brilliant concept. See Madhav's "Suicidal Tendencies" for another great level based on this idea. Slight smile
Quote:Brilliant concept. See Madhav's "Suicidal Tendencies" for another great level based on this idea. Slight smile

As a complete newbie, a link to the level set in question, perhaps even with a password to jump me directly there, might have been helpful. I managed to find it, though -- level 135 of KeyboardWielder.dat (DXRE). Holy wow, was that a level. So many red herrings, but I managed to find a way to get a death message eventually! Slight smile
Quote:In this offbeat level set inspired by the game Karoshi by Jesse Venbrux, the challenge isn't figuring out how to get Chip to the exit. . . but figuring out how to get a death message. I decided that it was too offbeat to upload to the Yahoo group...
Quote:Brilliant concept. See Madhav's "Suicidal Tendencies" for another great level based on this idea. Slight smile

Some time after creating "Suicidal Tendencies", I was considering making a level where the challenge was to "cook" the level, i.e. struggle to put it into a state where it is neither possible to reach the exit, nor die (nor even be stuck on a trap, etc.), leaving Ctrl+R the only option. But I decided that it was too offbeat even to make. Flushed

- Madhav.
So I got around to playing the levels today afternoon... The fun part about playing an entire series of levels like this is that it messes with your mind a bit; like: briefly wondering how to restart the level after you exit it by mistake, saying "Uh-huh" when TW2 asks "Hey, are you doing that on purpose?", and almost thinking #6 was Lynx-incompatible before realizing "Oh wait, I can use the arrow keys."

The "lesson" levels and their hints had shades of black humour. I was disappointed that the difficulty curve didn't really take off, so hopefully you're going to add some more levels later.

Specific comments:-

#8 - I've never been good at joyrides... Oh, the number of times I lived on this level!

#9 - Can be "solved" using just 3 blocks.

#15-16 - These were kinda pointless...

#14, #19 - Boo! Totally unfair! Boo! I think #19 is unequal - because in MS you could figure it out by putting your ear to the ground, but in Lynx you would have to brute-force all <sup>12</sup>C<sub>6</sub> combinations.

- Madhav.
Quote:The "lesson" levels and their hints had shades of black humour. I was disappointed that the difficulty curve didn't really take off, so hopefully you're going to add some more levels later.

Karoshi tends to have very short and to-the-point levels, compared to the length of Chip's Challenge levels. raocow played the entirety of Karoshi 2.0 in about 40 minutes, whereas I've seen videos of BigOto2 grapple with a single Chip's Challenge level (specifically Blocks, Bombs, and Bugs) for over 17 minutes (and that's the edited version of the video!). I tried to emulate the length of Karoshi's levels, while also coming up with a variety of ways to die to make things interesting. If I decide to make longer levels, in the vain of "Suicidal Tendencies", it would have to be a completely different level set. Slight smile

Quote:#9 - Can be "solved" using just 3 blocks.

I don't see how to. . . OH. Well I feel silly.

[Click to Show Content]

Quote:#15-16 - These were kinda pointless...

#15 has a point to it.

[Click to Show Content]

#16 exists because I figured I should make a level parodying one where you die a lot anyway. Slight smile The next version of the levelset will have the hint text changed to this Darkseed reference: "This Bloblake is strangely empty and unoccupied."

Quote:#14, #19 - Boo! Totally unfair! Boo! I think #19 is unequal - because in MS you could figure it out by putting your ear to the ground, but in Lynx you would have to brute-force all <sup>12</sup>C<sub>6</sub> combinations.

I think the reverse is true, actually. In any event, the updated version will add this hint to level 19:

[Click to Show Content]
Quote:Karoshi tends to have very short and to-the-point levels, compared to the length of Chip's Challenge levels. raocow played the entirety of Karoshi 2.0 in about 40 minutes

And look, I beat all of Karoshi 2 in 13 minutes:

Also, I recently made my own Karoshi level and put it in TCCLPRejects. Here's a link to the map.

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~pieguy/chi...s&level=68

I like this set too, by the way Tongue
You should probably be playing CC2LP1.

Or go to the Chip's Challenge Wiki.
"This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds"

That's what I get when I try to watch this video Tyler.

THEY MUST BE RACIST TOWARDS US CANADIANS >Slight frown
<p>Proud owner of absolutely no untied bolds.
Quote:"This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds"

That's what I get when I try to watch this video Tyler.

THEY MUST BE RACIST TOWARDS US CANADIANS > Slight frown

Same message here in Texas, except with WMG in the mix as well.

Still, my point stands. It took a random Canadian about 40 minutes to beat 49+ levels of Karoshi 2.0 in what is rather evidently a blind playthrough, and I beat Super Karoshi in a single sitting the first time I played it. If Karoshi.ccl doesn't have the same kind of difficulty curve as other Chip's Challenge level sets, it's partly because I was emulating Karoshi's length, and partly because I wanted to get it released in time for April 1. Slight smile