Does the Caps Lock key really have all that much utility?
Oh man, that would be terrible! I think I'd junk the netbook rather than deal with that typing-related horror...
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:Please, no spam.

I think you're missing the joke here, Tom...Slight smile

And as much as I appreciate not having the "South Dakota" keys on my iMac's keyboard, I do have to wonder what's up with F13, F14, and F15 being added to the mix. Do most Windows keyboards now come with them? At any rate, at least I've got more function keys to which I can map some nifty shortcuts...
The "insert" key is the most stupid one to have on the keybord, in my opinion. I remember a time before I knew what it did, and occasionally accidently unknowingly pressed it. Suddenly MS Word was all crazy! What do I do? I had to restart the computer whenever that happened (or maybe it was enough to restart Word?), because I had no clue how to help it. Eventually I learned of this button. I've used it a few times, when translating a text from one language to another, but I can never think that the benefit of that button makes up for the pain of those who don't know its function.

(I've always wanted to say this, but there has never been a topic like this anywhere Wink )

Also, back when I had to look hard on the keybord to type correctly, I sometimes wrote long text all in caps without realising. That was very annoying, when I had to re-type all that. Eventually, I've learnt a trick solution for that: Shift+F3 lets you toggle a text between all caps, all smallcase and first-letter-caps. (And if it wasn't for CC, I don't think I would know the word "toggle" Slight smile )

Regarding the F-keys, I use F3, F4, F5, F6, F10, F11 and F12 like a million times every day at work. They are shortcuts in my planning tool program for things like 'save', 'insert new row', 'delete row' and 'open this or that window'.

Interesting topic Wink
I find the F-keys marginally useful.

Quote:Please, no spam.

I think you missed the joke so badly that the moon is in danger now.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
Lunacy!!
Ahhh, Portal jokes we meet again. Blob I've made a rule for myself that I will go until this summer without making one myself, in hopes of regaining my humor for the series and possibly being able to play it through again.
Quote:I think you missed the joke so badly that the moon is in danger now.

I got the joke. it was a double joke gone horribly bad though.

I'd rather have the Shift Key over the Caps Lock.
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
I got the double joke. I was about to comment on multiple people missing YOUR joke, but then you did it for me. Just saying that at least one person here got the double joke.

And yes, Shift > Caps Lock the same way FDR > George Bush. It's not even close.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Scroll Lock allows, or used to allow using arrow keys to scroll the screen (in Excel/Quattro Pro for instance).

Num Lock is only useful for switching your numeric keypad to/from arrows/numbers if it becomes more convenient. You can usually set it the way you want in the Bios on the boot screens.

I have written applications that use up to F8 for various functions. Word processors and spreadsheets use most of the function keys.

Occasionally you might find a use for Ctrl+Home/End in spreadsheets.

I don't think that the pause/break key has been useful since DOS-based systems.

ian
Excel is just so non-user-friendly that all of the shortcuts in the world can't make it useable, imo. Oftentimes I find myself creating the spreadsheets in Word and then exporting them to Excel...