An odd Target policy
...so I guess they were training a new employee, 'cause I saw a part of their training manuel left out by the register. While waiting in line I happened to glance at it, and I read something along these lines:

The maximum gift card purchase a customer can make in any 24-hour period is $10,000. If a customer attempts to purchase more than $10,000 worth of gift cards, the associate is to inform them of the daily limit. Do not break up the purchase into two separate transactions.

Who the shiitake buys $10,000 worth of gift cards? It has to be some sort of money laundering scheme; I don't think even a corporation would come up with a policy like this without having a good reason.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
If I were them I'd make the limit more like $1,000 just to be safer. Not many would buy a gift card that huge either.
Even $100 would be reasonable, I think. If you're going above that, you might as well cut the recipient a check.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Good point. Someone may want one for $200 for, say, an iPhone, but that's about it.
Yeah, that's true. But odds are, if you're giving someone a gift card so that they can buy an iPhone (or a computer, or an .mp3 player, etc), you're close enough with them that you're going to pay for the whole thing and can just accompany them to the store (or, in the case of a parent/child or significant other relationship, just lend them your credit card).

I don't know. I'm just speculating here. I don't really travel amongst the sorts of folks who routinely give out gift cards in hundred-dollar (or thousand-dollar) increments.
Some Targets have appliances and stuff, so I can see where the number might be big.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
...yes, but $10,000? In gift cards? This isn't about putting a $10,000 cap on purchases. It's about a $10,000 cap on gift card purchases. Seriously?
We don't have Targets in England, but what I will say is that if you were a millionaire, you'd just buy the product without the gift card, right?
[Image: tsjoJuC.png]
Exactly. Or you'd just buy the expensive product for your kid (and you probably wouldn't buy it at Target anyway; Target is for the common folks). Or they could just draw the money out of their trust funds for themselves.