Dark Citadel Levelset
Yes I've read dune but I'm not a huge fan.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
In one of the books (maybe book 5 or 6), there's a scene where a boy screams "Imprinter! IMPRINTER!!" I guess it made an impact on me as I think of it occasionally, and then I make outbursts like above, and then no one gets it and I feel like Dennis Miller -- but poorer.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
Here's another one:

[Image: 1a0RJ.png]
Nice!
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/file/146-the-dark-citadel/

The first portion of this set has been re-released as it is now complete enough to stand as its own levelset, however, I don't consider it done. Any future updates will be done by updating this latest file, not by uploading a separate file like I did this time.

Here's one level I just finished:

[Image: Z5hpf.png]
I'll be looking forward to when this is complete so I can play those levels in the preview images!

Anyway, I downloaded and played through most of the set, discovering a totally brilliant and unlucky way to cook Level 4 in the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcCNIpbN...e=youtu.be

On to reviewing the levels I completed:

Level 1 - A nice calm introduction to the set.

Level 3 - This one was overall fun! It had nice aesthetics and I liked where you put the exit. That was neat. It wasn't hard, though there was one location where either guesswork or editor-peeking was required. There's no real way to know that you can safely step on the red button in front of the Glider cloner, or that you can't then proceed to go down that path without waiting for a glider to clone first. Other than that, great level.

Level 4 - This was quite a challenge. Moving through concentric monster rings is doable, but pushing a block through is much trickier. My basic strategy was to push the block up 2 steps, then retreat to the gravel and wait for the monsters to (hopefully) settle into loops, and then go from there. Maybe there's a better way, I don't know. Unfortunately, the one time I got this to work in both rooms, that's when I discovered the top section was cooked (see the video!)

Level 6 - A fun one, and much easier than it looked. The room with the red key, as simple as its design was, was something I had never seen before. It really shows just how dumb those Teeth monsters are. Laughing The teleporter room was way easier than I thought it was, and time pressure caused me to mess it up. But that's okay, there's plenty of time to finish the level; I think the time limit is just about perfect.

Level 7 - A nice, easy one. Maybe I figured it out right away because it reminds me of a certain level from my set!

I haven't completed 2, 5, or 8 yet.
The first three preview image levels are in. The last one (the post right above yours) is not. You may have grabbed it before I updated the link in the post. If so, grab the newest one by following the link in the first post. It should have 31 levels.

For level 3 the clone button will have a new position in the next update and there is a gravel tile next to the bomb that the cloned glider destroys so that you don't get screwed if you travel down there before the glider.

I do apologize for the screw in level 4. I knew it was possible but I expected people to do that room first. The video, however, is hilarious.

For level 7 I know I have seen that concept before, but I do not remember exactly where. It may have been your set. If so, awesome.
Quote:I do apologize for the screw in level 4. I knew it was possible but I expected people to do that room first. The video, however, is hilarious.

For level 7 I know I have seen that concept before, but I do not remember exactly where. It may have been your set. If so, awesome.

You're right, normally Level 4's cook wouldn't be an issue. The problem is that it usually takes 20-30 seconds for the fireballs to drain out of the upper room, so after a few attempts I started working on the lower sections while waiting for the upper to finish. On that particular attempt, I got done with both lower sections (the only time I managed this) before I realized the fireballs had reached equilibrium upstairs instead of leaving like they normally do. As such, I consider the level to be mentally complete, even if my TWS file doesn't say so. Wink

Level 7 reminds me of the blue wall maze in my set where you solve it by turning every time you hit a wall. It's not quite the same, but thinking of it helped me find the solution.

It turns out my mistake was downloading the version in your original post instead of the more recent version a few posts above. I now have tried every level in your 31-level set and completed about a third of them (and no, I didn't complete No Good Can Come of This).

#10 Singing Dragon Dungeon is my new favorite. It was hard, and took me at least a dozen tries to complete, but it wasn't so overly demanding as to discourage me; I knew I could do it given enough patience. I.e., perfect difficulty. And it was fun; I especially liked the glider counting puzzle. Only things I have to point out are that you can skip the pop-up wall next to the glider counting puzzle (just bring the block in, wait for an opening, and push it onto the force floor to clog the gliders). Also, the block next to the fire boot is totally unnecessary; you have no reason to go back down anyway.

In #18 Teeth-o-ban, once you're through the tricky rooms to get the keys, it's laughably easy to cage the teeth in against the gravel with blocks, leaving you free to complete the bomb-blowing at your leisure. Still, it's a nice relaxing level and doesn't wear out its welcome, unlike Pain.

In #31 Choose One, I see that the lower section took advantage of that glitch where sliding blocks think Chip-on-a-wall is just Chip and therefore crush him. I tried 5 or 6 times to get by boosting, but never succeeded. Is it known to be impossible to boost away from a sliding block like that? Or was I just unlucky? I wasn't going to even try the top section at first, but then it turned out the pink ball elevator was way easier than it looked, so I got it done.

Overall, this set's main good points are the level aesthetics and the original room and puzzle design found throughout the levels. Some features I don't like so much are the emphasis on dodging monsters colliding with other monsters (such as in #4, #24, and #27) as well as the confusing brown/red button connections found throughout levels like #8, #9, and #14. All the levels I completed, though, I thoroughly enjoyed.
I will concede that you have beaten #4.

Quote:Only things I have to point out are that you can skip the pop-up wall next to the glider counting puzzle (just bring the block in, wait for an opening, and push it onto the force floor to clog the gliders).

This is an intended alternate solution...

Quote:Also, the block next to the fire boot is totally unnecessary; you have no reason to go back down anyway.

And this is in case you forgot the second yellow key.

Quote:In #18 Teeth-o-ban, once you're through the tricky rooms to get the keys, it's laughably easy to cage the teeth in against the gravel with blocks, leaving you free to complete the bomb-blowing at your leisure. Still, it's a nice relaxing level and doesn't wear out its welcome, unlike Pain.

This is exactly what I was aiming for. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

#31 is actually unintentionally broken in this version. This is corrected in the future by removing the force floors closest to the popup walls. It is possible to boost away with sufficient slide delay, but there is none in this level.
The newest level I'm building, still in progress, is like Avalanche but with teeth instead of blocks.