Name that strategy
I was thinking that it would be great if we all could form a list of all the different kinds of stategies that are used in the various levels that we all play. Giving it a NAME -that actually describes the stategy -would be kind of a handle in out minds.

State a "NAME" and what it stands for. And then, add some description of how it is applied or used in a level.

I'll start off by naming the one (leaving room for others to add on to this) that I use a lot: "Sequential logic"

You have to get certain pieces before you can obtain other pieces of do certain things- obviously, you have to get the red key before you can go through a red door.

There are many strategies and many can be usesd in a single level. I think that it would be great to get a comprehensive list of this kind of thing.

Ian Wilson (thinker)
"Two-pass algorithm" - where a puzzle cannot, or must not, be solved all in one go; but rather involves arranging part(s) in a certain way, and coming back to it later or from a different route to be able to finish it. The simplest example is pushing a block into water to bridge to a certain part, but not stepping on the dirt so as to deflect a creature off it. Other examples may be found in some of my levels. Wink

Not to be confused with: "Integration by parts" - where a puzzle consists of several intermediate objectives of the same set of objects. For example, moving a set of blocks from room to room to room...

- Madhav.
The "right-hand rule" and "left-hand rule" are classic maze solving methods that help you along most mazes.

What's a good short name for "don't always pick up everything you see immediately if there's any chance you shouldn't" ?

And of course "window shopping" is the new hip term for being aware of your surroundings before you actually get to those areas.
Quote:The "right-hand rule" and "left-hand rule" are classic maze solving methods that help you along most mazes.
Of course, you meant to say the "paramecium rule" and "bug rule"...

Quote:What's a good short name for "don't always pick up everything you see immediately if there's any chance you shouldn't" ?
"Abstinence" Slight smile

- Madhav.
AWA: it's an acronym that stands for "Aimlessly wandering around." Very useful when you open up a level like "Recurring Dream" for the first time and you have no idea what the heck your objective actually is (beyond the obvious goal of reaching the/an exit)..

(P.S.: I also considered the more easily-remembered acronym "HAG," a phrase that begins with "half" and ends with "guessing," but it contains a mild obscenity in the middle, which some members of this board would surely object to.)
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
Quote:What's a good short name for "don't always pick up everything you see immediately if there's any chance you shouldn't" ?

"When it doubt, don't get a boot!" Okay, it's not short, but I always love hearing it.

Quote:And of course "window shopping" is the new hip term for being aware of your surroundings before you actually get to those areas.

The irony is that "Window Shopping" was a title I gave to Ida's "Memory II" in reference to the "shopping" for keys/boots behind the "windows" (bombs) in front of them. It had absolutely nothing to do with looking into other areas in preparation for later challenges. Tongue
Wow, this is off to a great start! Thanks for participating guys! Well, to get one of the most simple ones out of the way:

Obviously, probably 98% of a all levels have a time limit. But, I ran across a level in AndrewR1(L-2) where the whole level was made up of an ice lake and the goal was to collect the chips within the time limit -"precisely" - as there was almost not extra time -to make it to the exit tile in time...meaning that SPEED was the essence of the level. Speed and Time are so closely linked that it is sort of hard to know whether to call the strategy 'TIME' or 'SPEED'.

The 'TIME' strategy would be different from the "TIMING" Strategy - where the player would have to get past bouncing balls, for instance - using 'AGILITY' and 'Hand-eye' coordination.

Most designers give you extra time to complete a level- so in reality 'Time' is not the main strategy in those cases.

Since CC is a game where the mind is used (obviousley) is means that one has to use what I call "tools of the mind" or "mind tools". The designers strategy is to create obsticals and strategies (which we are trying to name) that have to be overcome by using these tools: observation, recognition, remembering (tiles that were observed peripherally, etc), reasoning, agility to overcome the "Timing strategy", patience. These can also be named in this post if you think of that side of the equation.

I'm going to go ahead and name "PATIENCE" as another strategy....as I have one of my levels where the startegy is to require the player to be willing to wait until a certain occurance happens.....This strategy works because most player are in a hurry to get the level done within the time limit. (the impatient player probably wonders why the door doesn't open -so that chips can move forward)

There are lots of stategies that the designer can use, so let's keep up the good work and finally create a comprehensive list of as many as we can think of.

There is the out-of-sight frog/teeth that follows your movements, like "Totally Unfair" to unlock a trap, explode a bomb, ...

Or, the modification where you have an unseen ball/tank trapped by toggle doors that are opened blindly for the same purpose ...

Unseen Helpers?
"Blind Coordination," maybe.

Timing button presses is a minor skill on its own. You know the examples: Four Plex, Beat The Heat, etc.
Quote:In Jr. High School, I would take a gummi bear, squeeze its ears into points so it looked like Yoda, and then I would say to it "Eat you, I will!". And of course then I would it eat.
"Suicide" - running into the nearest monster/fire/water when you know you've cooked a level and don't want to press Ctr+R (I can't be the only one who does this).