Background color in Tile World?
Is there a way to change the background color in Tile World? The black is really boring. I much prefer the whole MSCC look. I know the background in TW2 is blue (a step in the right direction) but it would still be cool if i could change it.
Yes, according to the documentation on the author's site, you can change some variables in the resource file to do it. The file is called "rc", in the "res" directory, and the variables are BackgroundColor, TextColor, BoldTextColor and DimTextColor, which control the background color (the black background), the text (by default it's light grey), the bold text (white) and the dim text (darker grey). The colors themselves are in the form of triples of hexadecimal numbers, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_color for a description of how it works. If you're used MS Paint before, this should not be unfamiliar. The color "numbers" go from 0 to 255, where 0 is none of a color, and 255 is 100% of that color. These numbers correspond to the range from hex 00 to FF.

There's no way to set background images or anything like you would need to better emulate MSCC though.
Ok, great! This is exactly the sort of thing i was looking for. Thanks!
Thanks, I've always wanted to do this! (Hacking Tile World FTW)

EDIT: Never mind, it doesn't work on Tile World 2. Is it supposed to be not hackable because of copyright and piracy and stuff?????
That's because Tile World 2 boxes and pictures for everything. If you look closely, you'll see that the top left of the background is lighter than the bottom right.

EDIT: I'm guessing scratchthumbs.db is used for the background. The file isn't in TW 1 and has a bunch of picture file names in it.
Quote:Thanks, I've always wanted to do this! (Hacking Tile World FTW)

EDIT: Never mind, it doesn't work on Tile World 2. Is it supposed to be not hackable because of copyright and piracy and stuff?????
Uh... It's a feature, not a hack. Tongue

TW2 just doesn't implement that option yet (because it needs to specify several shades of the same hue, not just one color).

Quote:That's because Tile World 2 boxes and pictures for everything. If you look closely, you'll see that the top left of the background is lighter than the bottom right.

EDIT: I'm guessing scratchthumbs.db is used for the background. The file isn't in TW 1 and has a bunch of picture file names in it.
It's a gradient fill, not a picture. The file you're talking about certainly isn't a part of TW2.

- Madhav.
Quote:The file you're talking about certainly isn't a part of TW2.

- Madhav.

What is it and why is it in my res file? *Deletes*
Quote:Uh... It's a feature, not a hack. Tongue

TW2 just doesn't implement that option yet (because it needs to specify several shades of the same hue, not just one color).

It's a gradient fill, not a picture. The file you're talking about certainly isn't a part of TW2.

- Madhav.

Okay, so another item for the TW3 list....
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
.rc files ( compiled to .res files) are used by the ("C") compiler and making changes in them won't do anything unless the source is recompiled. (I apolgize in advance if you already understand this.)

Ian