February 2021 Create Competition - GliderBot hates me for this (10×100 levels)
A Create Competition is a level design contest where anyone can make a level or levels from a given prompt or theme, which are then judged and ranked, with feedback. Whether you're a veteran designer with hundreds of levels or have never made a level before in your life, your submission is welcome here!

The theme for this competition is to push the dimension features of CC2's map format to their absolute (imposed by CC2) limits--make a level where one dimension is the maximum 100 tiles, and one dimension is the minimum 10 tiles.  There are levels that run close to, but not exactly, at 100×10, like Archival Footage or Eastbound, if you want some design insipiration.

Administrivia:
  • Submit the levels to me, calica#0464 on Discord or through PM here, by 11:59 PM Pacific Time on February 28, 2021.  Extensions will be granted for a week if someone tells me you're working on something.
  • You may submit up to 3 levels to the competition; if you submit more, only the most recent 3, or whichever 3 you tell me to judge, will be judged.
  • Levels should be solvable and replays are strongly recommended.  If I can't solve the level in my stream and it doesn't have a replay, I won't be inclined to give it a good placement.
  • You can have a map bigger than 10x100, within reason (let's say, don't go past 20 or so?), if logic/mechanisms require it, though as Ida says it'll be a bit disappointing to have the viewport shift that way (though in Lexy's Labyrinth you can set bounding boxes).  You can't extend the 100 though, because that won't be playable on CC2, though it actually will be playable in LL.
  • If you have a 10x100 map where part of it is inaccessible to the player due to containing logic, again within reason (maybe no more than 1/3 of the map?); though if it's possible, I suggest making it possible to see such a mechanism after completion, a la Difficulty Switch or Strict Process.
  • I'll probably stream the levels on Discord in early March and judge afterwards.
  • If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask either directly or in this thread.
If the playing area is 10x100, can the map be bigger to allow for logic/mechanisms outside of that area?
Or, alternatively, can the map be totally 10x100 but part of it is inaccessible to the player due to only containing logic and related mechanisms...
You could disallow both of the above or allow both but let it affect your grading of the level or whatever :)

Edit: Actually, I’m taking the question back because I want to stick to the 10x100, both because of the challenge and because if you have a wider map the viewport will not be the same which is kinda uncool.
(26-Jan-2021, 6:41 AM)Ida Wrote: If the playing area is 10x100, can the map be bigger to allow for logic/mechanisms outside of that area?
Or, alternatively, can the map be totally 10x100 but part of it is inaccessible to the player due to only containing logic and related mechanisms...
You could disallow both of the above or allow both but let it affect your grading of the level or whatever :)

Edit: Actually, I’m taking the question back because I want to stick to the 10x100, both because of the challenge and because if you have a wider map the viewport will not be the same which is kinda uncool.
You don't plan on using the results but I'll answer in case anyone else has the some questions:

You can have a map bigger than 10x100, within reason (let's say, don't go past 20 or so?), if logic/mechanisms require it, though as Ida says it'll be a bit disappointing to have the viewport shift that way (though in Lexy's Labyrinth you can set bounding boxes).  You can't extend the 100 though, because that won't be playable on CC2, though it actually will be playable in LL.

If you have a 10x100 map where part of it is inaccessible to the player due to containing logic, again within reason (maybe no more than 1/3 of the map?); though if it's possible, I suggest making it possible to see such a mechanism after completion, a la Difficulty Switch or Strict Process.
(26-Jan-2021, 8:57 PM)Calica Wrote: You can have a map bigger than 10x100, within reason (let's say, don't go past 20 or so?), if logic/mechanisms require it, though as Ida says it'll be a bit disappointing to have the viewport shift that way (though in Lexy's Labyrinth you can set bounding boxes).  You can't extend the 100 though, because that won't be playable on CC2, though it actually will be playable in LL.

If you have a 10x100 map where part of it is inaccessible to the player due to containing logic, again within reason (maybe no more than 1/3 of the map?); though if it's possible, I suggest making it possible to see such a mechanism after completion, a la Difficulty Switch or Strict Process.

Sounds perfect Thumbs up
Thanks!
I've now completed a stream of the levels. A very nice set of levels! Results coming soon...
Without further ado...

6th place [Click to Show Content]
5th place [Click to Show Content]
4th place [Click to Show Content]
3rd place [Click to Show Content]
2nd place [Click to Show Content]
1st place [Click to Show Content]

Congratulations to all of you!  I enjoyed playing through these levels, and I'm thankful to everyone who submitted a level, even Sickly!  Even the levels I disliked had some strong ideas in them, even if there was some bits that struggled (though that might also be the constraint's fault to some degree).

The unlisted video will be posted here when it finishes processing.
Ida wins again, she can not be stopped at this point. Nice to see my level "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Fr9-SUWHk" accomplished one of its two goals, and congrats to everyone who took the time to design and submit a level. Thanks for hosting Calica, hope to possibly see you host some more contests in future.
Hi I'm A Sickly Silver Moon
and I currently develop SuperCC and work on levels from time to time

I also made the world's best CC2 tileset: Lunar
[Image: ZYZWJuE.png]
As well as a very fun CC1 tileset: CGA
[Image: RWZdY7b.png]
Nice job, Ida! This was a fun competition.
"Bad news, bad news came to me where I sleep / Turn turn turn again" - Bob Dylan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcRlvS553jU

And here's the stream.