February 2019 Create Competition - Walls of CC2
Quote:On 3/15/2019 at 2:10 AM, M11k4 said:

I didn't add any bonus flags either, because I believe not every CC2 level needs to have them.

I agree with that. Sometimes, bonus flags don't add much to the overall gameplay experience and/or the level would be better off without them. Like in H2O's level, the flags aren't bad, but they don't add much either. But you say that you experimented with them, and honestly, it would have been really interesting to see how the level would have turned out with them, even if it broke CC1 compatibility.

Quote:On 3/15/2019 at 2:10 AM, M11k4 said:

Perhaps overall my mistake was to even try making such a level. When one tank movement worked nicely in one rule set, the collisions in another rendered it different or even unsolvable.

Making a level compatible with all three rulesets is really hard, especially if tanks are involved. I vaguely remember some CC1 tank levels that had an elaborate off-screen mechanism to ensure that the tanks moved the exact same way in Lynx and MS. Sadly, such a mechanism here would have required expanding the map for the CC2 version, which wasn't an option.

Regarding Jeffrey's commments, aesthetics can be really difficult to handle. If you can make a fun level that looks good, that's great. But sometimes, making the level look good gets in the way of fun, and I'm afraid the unranked entry is a prime example of this. Not sure why I didn't mention those monsters on walls, though. I used to have something written about them in an earlier draft, but for some reason I edited it out. In the end, most of them are nice (the red teeth is especially clever), but the blue teeth is quite annoying because of the custom walls that were added to keep it contained. Which brings us to:

Quote:On 3/15/2019 at 6:18 PM, Ihavenoname248 said:

I think that for a future Walls of CC2(LP1) Create, should it happen, there should be some sort of stricter definition for what a wall is and by extension, what you must leave and what you can remove.

Yes, that would probably be a great idea. In CC1, it's mostly straightforward, keep the walls and remove everything else. But CC2 adds so many types of walls, which makes things much more complicated and not everyone will agree. For example, walls of "Globs", do you keep those pink walls or just those four "regular" walls? And if you end up keeping only the pink walls, could you add some "regular" walls elsewhere? If there were clearer rules, this would have solved the issues I mentioned for three of the five entries.

Also, regarding Tyler's entry...honestly, I don't know how things would have turned out if it weren't for that bust. I remember some entries in past contents that lost partly because of such busts, which can be pretty annoying since the level is otherwise very fun. Here, it probably would have been ranked at least 2nd, but I don't know if I would have given it 1st. It's all speculation Blob
CC is awesome!

CC2 sets (still being updated): C1059-CC2 --- Walls of CC2

CC1 sets (all complete): C1059-2 --- C1059-1 --- 1059PG01 --- C1059-Christmas --- C1059-INSANITY --- C1059-CCLP4

My Youtube channel --- Fiver's Honeycomb --- Fanfiction.net

Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten.

Messages In This Thread
February 2019 Create Competition - Walls of CC2 - by chipster1059 - 29-Mar-2019, 5:30 PM