Crystal Mines II - or more related to Chip's Challenge that you may think
Well, as one of the interviews says, Ken explicitly said that he borrowed some ideas from Chip's Challenge and they basically are the ones that i mentioned in the text. The main differences are the smooth non grid based movements and being able to shoot the enemies. However, it also have a decent amount of Sokoban style block pushing mixed with Boulder Dash style (well) boulders. Also, the only CC1 enemy pattern not present is the "random mover" (blob). Funnily, the "slow chaser" (teeth) of this game is a gas creature that pass through most walls. Due to the smooth movement the directional control needs to be pressed for a little before the block moves but it is only annoying if a lot of monsters are near.

As for playing the game, the Lynx ROM of the regular version is in AtariAge, easily accessible just like CC1 Lynx. The expansion pack is sold by Songbird (the web of that company is in one of the interview links) and is harder to find as a ROM. If the iOS version is still in the App Store, i don't know, and i am pretty sure that the NDS version is not being sold anymore. If you go for emulators, then let me tell you that MAME/MESS is my choice. You can use overclocking to completely eliminate slowdowns,  but since the volume is rather low i felt it was obligatory to set it to 2.0 instead of the default 1.0. Another choice is Mednafen, but i haven't used it's Lynx emulation a lot. I hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crystal Mines II - or more related to Chip's Challenge that you may think - by JDGP030302 - 03-Oct-2020, 7:18 PM