Meditation
It probably does. There are many different ways and types of meditation with different results. Anytime you're attempting to clear your mind like this is semi-meditating. If you really take time and notice your own mind in times like these you can notice a lot of new things.

Actually meditation and sleep are closely related and in fact you may enter a semi-sleep state while meditating. There are several stages of sleep, one stage being very light (close to waking).

I've read that meditating a lot may enable you to have to sleep less; however I also read that meditation is no substitute for normal sleep.

I've done what you describe and this usually leads to a very relaxed state but sometimes often very sleepy.

Something important, at least that is very true for me; I don't recommend meditating heavily if you haven't gotten enough sleep the previous night (or regularly). It can end up making you extremely tired and messing up your sleep.

The main thing however, if you want lasting results is to do it regularly. Only after started meditating once daily (for only 10-15 minutes, sometimes less) did I notice permanent changes in myself.

Besides focusing on your breath there are other methods:

focus on a sound (music, or your own voice, like a mantra), focus your eyes on a specific spot without moving or blinking. The latter method usually works very well for me but I don't do it often because it is very powerful and can be intense.

I could go on for a while (I've been reading a lot about this recently)...
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski

Messages In This Thread
Meditation - by mobius - 25-Oct-2018, 5:31 PM
Meditation - by The Architect - 27-Oct-2018, 4:55 PM
Meditation - by mobius - 29-Oct-2018, 5:08 PM
Meditation - by The Architect - 29-Oct-2018, 5:28 PM
Meditation - by mobius - 29-Oct-2018, 8:18 PM
Meditation - by The Architect - 30-Oct-2018, 5:39 PM