Other puzzle game recommendations
Corrypt is a favorite of mine. It's very similar to Chips Challenge, being top-down tile based, focusing on stuff like puzzles with pushing blocks, but it has it's own neat twist as well that really gets interesting about halfway through.

https://smestorp.itch.io/corrypt
Quote:On 12/25/2018 at 3:34 PM, Earthling said:

I checked out Reflexion. It's interesting how many of the levels have a special mechanism unique to that level, like disappearing walls or a countdown. A level editor would definitely be nice, but you couldn't make your own special mechanisms like that with just an editor.

Most of the special mechanisms aren't really that unique, and could be included as tiles in a hypothetical editor. Though there are a few levels with AI!

Quote:On 1/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, Gavin said:

I remember playing Reflexion back when it was released in the much earlier-days of GameMaker. Fun game but gets tricky very quickly, for a GameMaker game it has a very polished and professional feel to it.

Did either of you try the sequel, by the way? It's even more polished and professional, to the point that it could well be a modern commercial game.
Check out my levelset: AndrewR1
Discuss it here: AndrewR1 feedback and discussion
Quote:On 1/21/2019 at 1:55 PM, andyrkki said:

As far as I'm aware, it is completely impossible to buy it now (even used like CC, since I'm pretty sure it was only ever sold online), so it's basically the ultimate form of abandonware. As such, I'll share this info: if you open up the main executable in a hex editor and change just one byte at a certain offset, the game will let you access all registered features without entering a key. See my signature for details. Wink

Well that's neat. Slight smile

Quote:4 hours ago, andyrkki said:

Did either of you try the sequel, by the way? It's even more polished and professional, to the point that it could well be a modern commercial game.

Yeah; I love the graphics in that.
They call me Earthling, for I come from Earth.

Earthling1.dat, my levelset.
Quote:On 1/20/2019 at 11:12 AM, Hash1 said:

The Adventures of Lolo series and it's japanese version Eggerland are similar to Chip's Challenge in the way that you have to complete levels by collecting stuff, being able to use things, and avoiding obstacles. They're old Nintendo games that are also about thinking, created by HAL labs.

I reccomend them.

I remember that game being mentioned on this CC site, along with Escape: https://web.archive.org/web/201410181423...s/chip.htm

Quote:20 hours ago, Motekopasznyaku said:

Corrypt is a favorite of mine. It's very similar to Chips Challenge, being top-down tile based, focusing on stuff like puzzles with pushing blocks, but it has it's own neat twist as well that really gets interesting about halfway through.

https://smestorp.itch.io/corrypt

But the thing about most of these games (also including MarbleZone, and other games like the suspiciously MSCC-looking LaserTank) is that they are generally static puzzles.

CC has plenty of levels that don't require extreme monster dodging, but the ones that do break up the flow of the sokobans and other somewhat generic puzzle levels, no matter how creative they may be individually. It's one of the things that makes the game relatively unique. It's also a big part of why I'm so drawn to Reflexion: it has a very similar static/dynamic ratio, so to speak.
Check out my levelset: AndrewR1
Discuss it here: AndrewR1 feedback and discussion
Quote:1 hour ago, andyrkki said:

But the thing about most of these games (also including MarbleZone, and other games like the suspiciously MSCC-looking LaserTank) is that they are generally static puzzles.

CC has plenty of levels that don't require extreme monster dodging, but the ones that do break up the flow of the sokobans and other somewhat generic puzzle levels, no matter how creative they may be individually. It's one of the things that makes the game relatively unique. It's also a big part of why I'm so drawn to Reflexion: it has a very similar static/dynamic ratio, so to speak.

Corrypt doesn't exactly have "levels," it's more of an open-world sort of thing. And honestly, I feel like the "sokobans & generic puzzle" parts only actually make up a relatively small part of the experience or so, where the game really breaks out & opens up into something different & unique after the checkpoint. I mean, if you're looking for something that has a large variety of both puzzle & action levels, then maybe Corrypt isn't quite what you're looking for, but I don't feel it's fair to compare it to games that only have sokoban puzzle levels either.
Just happened across this thread again and thought I'd mention I checked out Corrypt after it was brought up here. Very unique, would definitely recommend! I found myself stuck for awhile after the twist, unable to figure out how to solve it, started the game over a few times and finally gave up... and then months later, the solution suddenly occurred to me, in an "Oh why didn't I think of that before!" kind of way. Was fun.

I also found Zaga-33 by the same guy to be a good game for repeated play when you have time to waste.
They call me Earthling, for I come from Earth.

Earthling1.dat, my levelset.