Winter 2014 Super Time Trial - Housecleaning
It's time for a new Time Trial! It's also the first Super competition
on the forum! That means it's a bigger competition that couldn't be contained in a single month and participants will be awarded twice as many Chip Cup points as usual! (For a summary of the competition, skip to the end of the post.)

Last year I went back and looked at all the levels that had been made for any competitions on these forums.

I compiled them into a single download here: http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/file/305-cc-zone-competition-goodie-bag/

It includes some information on the competitions, but I would like to improve it by including some solutions to at least the time trial levels. However, several of the Time Trials never received any participants and thus there is no official time for those levels. Now I'm giving everyone a chance to revisit those levels before any solutions are released.

For January, we're reusing all the levels from months that didn't receive entrants, namely September 2009, January 2010, October 2011, and December 2011. Some of these levels aren't ideal for a Time Trial, so the scoring will be a bit different and won't require participants to optimize all the levels. For every level you complete you get some 'chips
' and the participant at the end of February with the most chips
wins the competition! The levels in question are all from CCZoneTT.dat (found in the download above), and for January the levels are:

Level 9 - "CCzone TT Challenge #5A
" - 10 chips
for completion.

Level 10 - "CCzone TT Challenge #5B
" - 10-20 chips
for completion, see below for details.

Level 12 - "CCzone TT Challenge #7
" - 10 chips
for completion.

Level 27 - "11.3 - Not Red, Green and Blue
" - 10 chips
for completion.

Level 29 - "11.5 - December 2011 Time Trial
" - 10-20 chips
for completion, see below for details.

For levels 10 and 29, I will award between 10
and 20 chips
for any solutions and use my judgement on how this is done by taking into account the time remaining on the levels. I don't want to force anyone to work too hard on the long block pushing level, so I might award 20 chips
to each participant who optimizes that level decently. (Because of possible ties, it is hard to commit to the exact method of distributing chips
, but basically I want to award the two quickest solvers equal chips and the rest get lower amounts staggered between 10
and 19 chips
.) So the time you get on these levels matter, but there still should be a point where you can feel confident that squeezing another second from the solution won't make a difference.

For February, we will add other levels to the mix, so check back for an update then. I will then also explain how the scoring will deal with cases where someone can only participate during one month, and not the other.

February Update:
The other levels for this competition fall under the theme "were part of a competition but the results were never announced" which basically means a repeat of the five levels from November 2010. You can find them in the same file as the previous levels and the number of chips you'll receive for solving them is:

Level 19 - "#9A: TT Nov 2010 - CODE BREAKER
" - 10-20 chips for completion, see below for details.

Level 20 - "#9B: TT Nov 2010 - PORTAL
" - 10 chips for completion.

Level 21 - "#9C: TT Nov 2010 - DIAMOND
" - 5 chips for completion, and an additional 5 chips for tying with the best time.

Level 22 - "#9D: TT Nov 2010 - RANDOM
" - 10 chips for completion.

Level 23 - "#9E: TT Nov 2010 - DIRECTIONAL
" - 10-20 chips for completion, see below for details.

For the first and last of these levels, the person who submits the best time on each will receive 20 chips.
The second best scorer will get 19 chips
, third will get 18 chips
and so on down to 10 chips
. (If it makes no difference in the result, I might round these steps to two or five chips
each.) I will be interested in seeing who scores the best times on the other levels too, but I can't make those matter for the competition, as it would be too much work for you guys. I will also try my hand at what scores I can get.

Remember that the person with the most chips at after all these ten levels wins! I can't reveal how many participants we already had in January, but if you feel like it is too late to join in you would be wrong! Even with half points available from the first levels you can still place pretty high and start off the year with a big pile of Chip Cup points. It's even possible that some participants will drop out this month and someone else entirely will come and claim first place!

Other notes:

1) The person with the most chips
after all levels from January and February wins!

2) As not all levels are playable in Lynx, this time you may enter the competition only in MS. You can send in your Lynx solutions as well, but those won't count towards the competition. You do not need to solve all levels to enter. There may be a tie in overall score.

3) You may use the levels in either CCZoneTT.dat or the original smaller sets as released (they should be identical). Please send your solutions (either the tws file or avis) to CCZoneNextLevel at gmail dot com, or to my own email valeosote at hotmail dot com. Do not post your solutions or solution times or share them with others. All times will be published at the same time, and the quickest solutions will eventually be released. I will strive to respond to your message by a confirmation that your score has been recorded.

4) This is part of the 2014 season of the Chip Cup. The winner will be awarded 30 points, second place 24, third 20 points, and so on according to twice as much points as for normal competitions. If you win a competition here for the first time, you receive the "You're Winner!" award. All participants who haven't participated in a time trial earlier receive the "Run, Chip, Run" award. If your username starts with a K, I will create and dedicate a level to you.

5) Submission deadline is at the end of January where you live for the first five levels, and the end of February for the rest of the levels. Results will be announced in March. More exact deadlines will be posted, but get your solutions in early rather than later! You can send in improvements while the deadline hasn't passed, so there is no downside to sending in something you know might not be your best effort if you had forever to work on it.

6) Now that it is February, you may still enter the competition, but if you did not submit anything in January, you will only receive half points for those levels.

Summary of competition:
  • Download and extract CCZoneTT.dat from: http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/download/305-cc-zone-competition-goodie-bag/

• Try getting a good time on levels #10 and #29.
  • Attempt solving levels #9, #12, and #27.
  • Make a silent wish that you already would have done all that in January.
  • Then try getting a good time on levels #19 and #23.
  • Also attempt solving levels #20, #21, and #22.
  • Send in your solutions to CCZoneNextLevel at gmail dot com or valeosote at hotmail dot com.
  • Check back in March for the results!
Report any problems or ask any questions here! Enjoy! Blob

-Miika
Something I forgot to mention...

Usually I allow for some time to give feedback on the levels and we might change slightly if there are issues like busts. This time I don't want to go back and make changes to the levels, as they are already established parts of our history, but I am totally up for changing or clarifying the scoring methods. Suggestions and comments in this direction are welcome! If you have any issue with the competition, it's better to speak up now than after the deadlines.

I thought I had something else to say too, but it slipped my mind again Smiley

-Miika
Are we allowed more time to improve our times on the "January" levels during February?
Quote:Are we allowed more time to improve our times on the "January" levels during February?
Yes.

I was actually coming here to announce some stuff regarding this. You will still be able to report times for these first levels in February, but if you did not send in any submissions in January, your score for the first levels will be halved. You might get away with informing me of an intent to participate, but that is stretching your luck. Basically, send in your solutions now, and then you will have less to worry about next month, but if you do have more time then you can still take part in the fun!

More info on the levels for February to come... when it actually is February.

-Miika
...And it's February! I have added the info in the first post on which levels to play for February. Maybe some of you already guessed what they may have been, as they all came from the same set as January's levels.

Now I have to confess a secret agenda I had in running this competition and choosing these levels to use. I want to post a high score table for all the Time Trial levels that have been used over the years, and to do that I needed some base scores for all the levels. This means I wanted to use the levels from months that had not received any entries, as well as the one month when the results weren't announced because the person running the competition left the community. Hopefully you guys agree that this will be a fun goal to reach!

Which actually brings up an odd point: even after using ten levels for the competition, I'm still left with two levels for which I do not have any solution times. These two are levels 14 (Mechanisms
) and 17 (Time Limit
), both of which are not solvable in Tile World and were used in the October 2010 Time Trial. If someone wants to solve these in MSCC and report a time, that would be great! An avi would be even better! But let's first concentrate on the levels that are actually in the competition this month Slight smile
This may seem strange, given that this is technically my "first" post here, but as the original creator of both Mechanisms and Time Limit (as well as most of the other time trial levels for this competition), I do have solutions for both of those levels, if you wanted them. It's nice to know my old levels are being reused once more. Slight smile

And for anyone else wondering, yes, I am "Sugarhue123" from the old forums. It's been a long time since.
Hi SugarHue123!! Or should I say studioKiller or even dittoditto101? Slight smile

Nice to see you back! If you send me the solutions to those two levels, that would be great! Technically you can also enter the actual competition on the other levels if you have your own solutions for those too. Do you still have the submissions for November 2010? I know what times I sent in, but have no way of knowing if others also participated. Do you remember if anyone else did send you something back then?

Thanks for letting us use your levels again Slight smile Hope you hand around for some time again. Blob

-Miika
Any name's fine! Unfortunately, I don't have any of the information from any of the old time trial competitions, so I don't remember whether anyone else participated, sorry. I'll send you AVIs of the two levels as soon as possible, and I'll try my hand at the competiton levels again Smiley
That's great. Thanks for checking if you had the info. I'll be waiting for your avis as well as your submission Slight smile
Hey guys! It's the end of February now! I hope to still see some more submissions from people, so I'm extending the deadline to Monday morning at 6 a.m. March 3rd where you live to give everyone the chance to still play the levels over the weekend. There are still some good Chip Cup points here to be earned with relatively little effort because it is a Super Competition with double the usual amount of points and every level solved will count!

I'm sorry I haven't quite been on my game recently with the other competitions. I'll soon post the results to all the competitions so far this year, and then we'll have new ones for March started within a few days. These might be the last ones before everyone will be enthralled by CCLP1 in April. I'm so excited for that!!