Gifts levelset: level # 9 -Excel spread sheet
Hi Chipsters,

I recently, I uploaded 9 levels in "Gifts" levelset with level # 9 being a Quadruple Maze, with monsters!. For Level 9: I have made an Excel spread sheet that has now been sized down enough so that it will print out on one sheet of paper. Plus, on "tab" # 2 there is a blank sheet of a level that can be uses to design your own levels (on paper) - if so desired.

I have tried to post the spread sheet at the NewsGroup, but apparantly, the method didn't work. I would be glad to send it to anyone via email. My email address: ianwilson1942@gmail.com

MikeL posted a larger version (taking two sheets of paper) of the spreadsheet at the NewsGroup, but there was an error at 27,14 - where there should be a N-thin wall instead of S-thin wall. Also, if I ever do another update, there should be a hidden wall instead of a real wall at 24,31 -thus completing the claim that every type of tile is in the level.

I've noticed a good number of downloads here at CC Zone, and would really appreciate getting some feedback on any of the levels in the Gifts levelset. Level # 8 is also an interesting level and might fit the catagory of being a quadruple maze, but I'm not so sure about that.

I wanted the levelset to be ready for Christmas, but still called it "Gifts" even though it was a week late to the sites.

Ian Wilson -thinker
I got the spreadsheet, thank you. It certainly will help if I ever try to conquer this monster. I wish someone would make a playable tile set out of the graphics you used.

It was definitely a good call to not post the set for Christmas if the levels are now better. I looked at a few, but they were all still so complex that I was not immediately intrigued to try solving them. If I ever have the time, I will take another look because I know you can come up with cool concepts.
Thanks M11k4 (I think that you probably are Miika -?)

Anyway, thanks for your response. Appreciated! What you called graphics are only special signs that can be found inside the spread sheet itself under the "insert" tab and then go down to 'symbol' and scroll though a whole array of symbols which can then just be copied onto your spread sheet.

Just in case someone doesn't know: when you want to print out any part of the spread sheet, you need to hightlight that area and then choose that as the printout area. The first spread sheet that I made had the rows and colomns larger, and then I made another one, since I realized it would be better to make them smaller so that a person can print the whole level layout onto one sheet of paper, rather than on two sheets (since there would then be a printout of two seperat area of the level....which would then require you to tape them together with scotch tape... I'm thinking of making a copy of MC Chips Challenge (level 136) called "Double Maze" for folks to have a copy of it to draw out the routes, etc.

Edit: I have now made a copy of the "Double Maze" from the original CC -level -136 and you can obtain a copy of it at Yahoo Group...look under "Plan.xls"

Back to the levelset, yes, it may look intimidating, but it actually isn't once you get going in a level. Give it a try.

I'm suprised that you gave up without even trying...or maybe it was the time factor. It's true that they are the type that takes some thinking and so on...but, hey, these types of levels are not ment to be over and done with in just a few minutes and on your first try...kind of thing. But, thanks for taking the time to write,

This is the next day now, after reading your response, I decided to make another level this morning. It's a Triple Maze (level # 10) and it isn't very hard. Give that one a try, and maybe you'll see that the levels are not as hard as they may look. Ian Wilson
Hi Slight smile

I played the new level 10, and you are right, I liked it a lot more. It still had tons of blue walls and lots of ice, both of which I am not a fan of, but at least I was able to solve the level. It would have been a boring level if not for the teeth controlling the toggle walls, which was cool. Also liked that there was an extra chip, so if I had missed one I didn't have to go back and find it. I wouldn't mind seeing more levels of this difficulty.

You are also right that I might have dismissed the other levels a bit too quickly. I apologize. I did try the first five for a few attempts, but was still somewhat overwhelmed by them. For example, in both the Dundee levels at the start, there were many things hidden under blocks (thin walls) that restricted how those blocks could be moved. This results in making it hard to plan what I can do with what I can see, when I don't know which blocks might be immobile. Even after I got away from the western side of the first level, I was very confused if I had the right tools to continue or not. Using force floors and pop-ups to make areas inaccessible creates an uneasy feeling and doesn't reassure me that I've taken the right path, unless it is very clear that I will not have to return to those areas. I don't want to reach the end and then notice I've missed a single trick ten minutes ago. Your levels have always been very flavorful and often include cool concepts too, but I am often turned off by the clutter and hidden information to enjoy the levels fully.

Also, level #2 is can currently be solved in three seconds in MS. Just use the block from (1,28) to reach the exit.

Thanks for listening and understanding, and I'm glad you are part of our community Chip Win

-Miika
Thanks again, Miika,

I'll take your advice to heart...and yes, I admit that I'm prone to making levels too complex and intense. I'll try to do better.

Right now I'm got a fancy for working with mazes and I'm working on converting the origianl MS CC level 136 -"Double Maze" into a Triple maze. It will probably be my last level for awhile as I find that I'm slipping a bit with too many mistakes...mainly and probably due to me waking up in the middle of the night (like 2-4 AM) and not being able to go back to sleep...so I come down to my computer and work on levels. Still there is no excuse for the way that I have been making mistakes lately....but it's embarrassing to say the least. Anyway, I've decided that the only thing to do is try and be positvie and keep on trying.

I don't know why I have this idea to make levels difficult or complex...maybe it is because my beta tester keep finding bust in my levels, and I keep trying to make them harder so that he will finally be stumpped. But I haven't been able to do that yet...he is one of the elite players in my opinion.

Thanks again, Ian