Helmet Pack - Discussion
Hey everyone,

I apologize for the double post here, but I've been informed off-forum that Helmet #38 (Fire Walking) was unsolvable in Lynx. This issue has been corrected, and the file has been reuploaded. So sorry for the inconvenience!
Quote:Hey everyone,

I apologize for the double post here, but I've been informed off-forum that Helmet #38 (Fire Walking) was unsolvable in Lynx. This issue has been corrected, and the file has been reuploaded. So sorry for the inconvenience!

Hi. The new version is much better. In an attempt to get two updates to one pack, has anyone else actually solved Survival Skills (#17) in lynx? Would suggest moving the blue button one tile further from the cloner and adding ice inbetween. This doesn't change the MS behavior but allows much more freedom in lynx. And while you are at it, why not make more room in the glider stream too?

Haven't commented on levels because am waiting for the individual threads to appear, but I guess it's not happening. I'm not reading others' comments on levels prior to playing them myself, but now feel they are all getting lost in this one thread. Oh well, I'll live.
Quote:Hi. .... .... has anyone else actually solved Survival Skills (#17) in lynx?

This level took me about 50 attempts to solve in LYNX, but finally achieved a time of 601. Tongue Make sure you step on the green button twice before you move to the clone button.
Some thoughts and comments on the Helmet Pack:

#4 (Blue Forest Fire) - An interesting maze level with a good degree of purpose and variety that lifts it above other blue wall mazes. The maze fall prey to predictability so infrequently (if at all) that I didn't notice, which scores it high marks from me.

#9 (Basketball) - A few nice twists on a typical CC1 LESSON 3 level. There is a hint in the editor, but no hint tile exists in the level.

#17 (Survival Skills) - I found the bug/glider room in the NE quite tough, as it's difficult to time the snatching of chips away from the bugs and make it in/out of the glider train.

#22 (Single Celled) - This level needs a marginally higher time limit - I understand that it should be played with somewhat of a restrictive time limit given there are no methods of dying in the level other than running out of time, but even with relatively error-free runs, I still ran out of time on multiple occasions (twice only one square from the exit >.<) I'd be curious to know the best time anyone has got on this level, because it can't be far off a single-figure time.

#33 (Oh, It's Magic) - The pink ball teleport slide (never thought I'd say that) - is annoyingly difficult to interpret and time correctly. Thankfully this level is rather short.

#40 (Peanutbutter Jelly Time) - When I finished this level I got the feeling something was supposed to have happened, but didn't. I had no interference from the gliders at all, and all in all this level just felt a little disappointing.

#43 (Shark Tank) - I might have just been having a bad day, but this level took me an absolute age to solve. Required a lot of thinking outside of the box, which is a good thing of course.

#45 (Mountain Cavern) - I really liked this level. it was intriguing to see everything laid out from the get-go and have it slowly become accessible to you as you progress, which meant the backtracking and itemswapping didn't feel like a chore at all. The random MS or Lynx section in the N was a little odd, but a great level nonetheless.
CC1: 5,954,550 (completed)
--- CCLP1: 5,989,110 (completed)
--- CCLP2: 5,936,410 (148 levels completed)
--- CCLP3: 1,223,887 (a few levels completed)

My levelset JRB_CCLP1.ccl
Quote:Some thoughts and comments on the Helmet Pack:

#9 (Basketball) - A few nice twists on a typical CC1 LESSON 3 level. There is a hint in the editor, but no hint tile exists in the level.

This level was originally a post-lesson level after the review level in the set in which is was originally submitted. It's kind of reminiscent of a Lesson 3-esque level, but I think it works well as an introductory itemswapper.
Quote:#45 (Mountain Cavern) - I really liked this level. it was intriguing to see everything laid out from the get-go and have it slowly become accessible to you as you progress, which meant the backtracking and itemswapping didn't feel like a chore at all. The random MS or Lynx section in the N was a little odd, but a great level nonetheless.

Given the choice to fix it, I would remove the ms or lynx section in the north and make the path the same between rulesets.
Quote:You tested your own land mine. It worked!
Quote:Given the choice to fix it, I would remove the ms or lynx section in the north and make the path the same between rulesets.

That's fair enough. I do think that would be a good idea if the level were to make it into the set, but I'd be no less happy were it not changed, as it's such a marginal point. In short, the presence of said section didn't detract from the perceived quality (and therefore my rating) of the level.
CC1: 5,954,550 (completed)
--- CCLP1: 5,989,110 (completed)
--- CCLP2: 5,936,410 (148 levels completed)
--- CCLP3: 1,223,887 (a few levels completed)

My levelset JRB_CCLP1.ccl
Level 7: fireball maze. I am having a super-hard time figuring this out for some reason. I must be missing something obvious right? The top right button is the hardest part. can anyone help
my CC2 sets: Mobi's Challenge (166 levels)
Walls of CCLP2 (V2) presently: ~50 levels

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakwin Rinzai

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-'The Dude' Lebowski
I think that Level 45 (Mountain Cavern) is busted in MS - not in Lynx. Once you are in the teeth area (ice - shaped like a +), all you have to do is pick up the yellow key, then step D R R to get through the ice curve to the flippers. No need for the blue key. Then work your way to the small ice t, ignoring the entire north part of the maze, and work your way back to the beginning and push the block out of the way. My time (and in no way pushing it to get this time) was 310 seconds. I had 12 chips left - never needed to get the socket out of the way for that set of flippers.

Or was this how it was meant to be played in MS? Confused
No, it does not look like it was intended. And even if it were, I don't think the staff would allow a solution that only works in one of the rule sets. Oddly enough, the upper ff slide is clearly meant to separate Lynx and MS. To fix the flippers issue, it looks like the some walls and positions of items need to be rearranged quite a bit.